Advice re. Ven Ajahn Sumedho, please.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
kc2dpt

Re: Advice re. Ven Ajahn Sumedho, please.

Post by kc2dpt »

Just to be clear, I think a monk not touching or being touched by a woman is in the Vinaya. The bit not in the Vinaya is the cloth bit.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Peter wrote:Just to be clear, I think a monk not touching or being touched by a woman is in the Vinaya. The bit not in the Vinaya is the cloth bit.
Yeah I remember this being discussed here I think it was, but also Ven Sujato talks about this in a vid
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Ajahn Sumedho likes good coffee.

And he is very easy-going, don't worry about asian protocol too much... :smile:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

gavesako wrote:Ajahn Sumedho likes good coffee.

And he is very easy-going, don't worry about asian protocol too much... :smile:

Thank you very much, Gavesako !

:anjali:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Peter wrote:Just to be clear, I think a monk not touching or being touched by a woman is in the Vinaya. The bit not in the Vinaya is the cloth bit.
Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I recall a talk by some western monk (but can't remember which one) who recounted the difficulties of interacting with a mixed group of Thai and Sri Lankan women. The Thai women were offended if he didn't extend a cloth to receive things and the Sri Lankan women were offended if he did....

Metta
Mike
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Ah the fun of cultural diffrences. I was told by a monk at a vihara I attended regularly that the Sangha had requested that the secretary should request ( we're getting there ) that the the laity bring only vegetarian food when possible. A few weeks later a group of lay folks laid on a special Dana meal largely consisting of Big Macs...
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Sanghamitta

That sounds like something my kids would do to me!
Seriously, isn't there a precept that forbids a monk to make special requests or even hint at the type of food that is desired?
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I think there is Ben. I think it was done as a delicate hint to someone who would make a delicate hint. Apparantly it was a bit too delicate, hence the appearence of dozens of boxes of Whoppers and fries. :smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.