YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

the great rebirth debate - Page 205 - Dhamma Wheel

the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
clw_uk

Re: the great rebirth debate

Postby clw_uk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:03 am

So ok yeah, there is literal rebirth in the Suttas

Just because I like pink :D
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:21 am

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:51 am

mal4mac

Postby mal4mac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:09 am

"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' "

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

So isn't indulging in this thread inappropriate?
- Mal

reflection

Postby reflection » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:56 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 pm

If we accept the scriptures as truthful, Either the Buddha believed and taught previous lives and rebirth, or the Buddha was a liar, I choose to believe in rebirth, and the Buddha(for the sake of arguement, I am considering acheiving Nibbana, and non rebirth as a form of rebirth in paranibbana, not a nihilistic ceasing to exist)

You can't have extended discourses about your past lives, and not belive in rebirth, do you think the Buddha just made up his past lives or was deluded about them?

I also disagree that's ones beliefs on rebirth do not effect ones practise, whether they should or not is another discussion. Belief in rebirth is a great motivator to practice the Path, believing there is nothing after death, is a great motivator to just give up caring about everything, and indulge the senses,

Just like Christians find a belief in Heaven and hell to be a great motivator to practice moral conduct, buddhists likewise do the same with rebirth, whether that is correct or not is not the question, but rather what is human nature, if you believe in an after life or after lives, you are more likely to let that influence you present behaviour and practice IMHO
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

mal4mac

Postby mal4mac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:25 pm

- Mal

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Note I said, IF we accept the scriptures as truthful, which I tend to do. There is no doubt that having a better life in this lifetime is a motivating factor but to deny having a faith or belief in rebirth could act as an additional motivator seems a bit silly.

If you don't accept the scriptures as truthful, then what did the Buddha say???, maybe the 4 noble truths aren't truthful, maybe the 5 precepts and the 8fld path aren't truthful. not to mention the non self teachings. I can Imagine possibly short sections or passages of scripture being added later, but not things that are mentioned and talked about all throught the scriptures, like rebirth, denying it was taught borders on being a conspiracy theory IMHO
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

mal4mac

Postby mal4mac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:24 pm

- Mal

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:33 pm

So what is this? Surely it can't be that no one disagrees with me. Tired of the debate? Expecting to only hear the same old thing?

:namaste:

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:13 am

Perhaps it's the complexity of your thought that requires much more digestion before anyone can even mount a response. I'm still ruminating (as in like a cow).

mal4mac

Postby mal4mac » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:24 am

- Mal

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:51 am

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:55 pm

There is a difference between holding a view and not. What is wrong in having a reasoned opinion?

Issue of rebirth is crucial.

If life is ultimately only dukkha, and escape from it is not to be reborn, then why not suicide? Instant parinibbana!

If there is rebirth, then suicide of course is NOT the answer.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:08 pm

nowheat

Postby nowheat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:21 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

mal4mac

Postby mal4mac » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:49 pm

- Mal

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”