What if a commentary contradicts a sutta?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

What if a commentary contradicts a sutta?

Postby jameswang » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:02 am

In Guidelines for the Classical Theravada forum, it says that "Within these forums the Pali Tipitaka and its commentaries are for discussion purposes treated as authoritative."

What if a commentary contradicts a sutta?
jameswang
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 am

Re: What if a commentary contradicts a sutta?

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am

The guidelines are there to ensure that the discussion is focused on developing or assisting others to develop their understanding of the Classical Theravada pov, meaning that pov that do not represent the classical theravada are off-topic in that forum.
Where a commentary and a sutta are at odds - it can be a fruitful area of enquiry in that forum.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16155
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: What if a commentary contradicts a sutta?

Postby jameswang » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 am

Ben wrote:The guidelines are there to ensure that the discussion is focused on developing or assisting others to develop their understanding of the Classical Theravada pov, meaning that pov that do not represent the classical theravada are off-topic in that forum.

Thanks. But looking around, I find some rather unTheradava postings too. I suppose despite the somewhat rigid-sounding guideline, the moderators are quite moderate about the actual implementation, which is very good.

Where a commentary and a sutta are at odds - it can be a fruitful area of enquiry in that forum.
Great! So, it's okay to challenge a textual idea with another textual idea so long as both come from Theravada, right?
jameswang
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 am

Re: What if a commentary contradicts a sutta?

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:36 am

Greetings,

jameswang wrote:Great! So, it's okay to challenge a textual idea with another textual idea so long as both come from Theravada, right?

In the context of this forum, it would have to be specifically from the suttas or ancient commentaries (i.e. not the ideas and teachings of modern monastics/scholars/practitioners)

In the General Theravada section or elsewhere, what you propose would be perfectly alright. The purpose of this sub-section is so that the traditional sources/perspectives can be studied and discussed without undue interference or dismissal.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14678
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What if a commentary contradicts a sutta?

Postby jameswang » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
jameswang wrote:Great! So, it's okay to challenge a textual idea with another textual idea so long as both come from Theravada, right?

In the context of this forum, it would have to be specifically from the suttas or ancient commentaries (i.e. not the ideas and teachings of modern monastics/scholars/practitioners)

Yes, I understood that. Thanks. :-)
jameswang
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 am


Return to Classical Theravāda

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests