ordination time

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
PadmaPhala

ordination time

Post by PadmaPhala »

:smile:

as Zen monk... as soon as æ tie some loose ends and travel to Japan.
plwk

Re: ordination time

Post by plwk »

I rejoice for you and may your journey be fruitful :anjali:

On a side note, you are aware right, if I may presume?
That generally, there's no Vinaya Pratimoksa based monastics in the Zen Tradition, within Japan & its overseas transmissions, except for the extremely rare few who may still uphold the ancient transmission of the Chinese Dharmaguptaka in Japan and the modern transmissions of the Chinese Dharmaguptaka, Tibetan Mulasarvastivada & Theravada Vinayas ordination? That for over a thousand years now, the Japanese Buddhists have seen it fit to dispense away the Vinaya?

That's why they are known as Zen 'priest/priestess' and not 'monk/nun' because the 'ordination' done is based on the Bodhisattva Sila and not from any of the 3 Vinaya Pratimoksas as mentioned above. Merely wearing ancient Tang Dynasty cum Japanese styled robes, living in a monastic like communal setting and shaving the head, self imposed celibacy doesn't constitute a Vinaya Ordination...
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Congratulations PadmaPhala. All the best on your beautiful journey.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
EdwardFlemer

Post by EdwardFlemer »

I would also like to give best wishes for your beautiful and safe journey...Well we must appreciate such kind of trips..:-)
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

plwk wrote:I rejoice for you and may your journey be fruitful :anjali:

On a side note, you are aware right, if I may presume?
That generally, there's no Vinaya Pratimoksa based monastics in the Zen Tradition, within Japan & its overseas transmissions, except for the extremely rare few who may still uphold the ancient transmission of the Chinese Dharmaguptaka in Japan and the modern transmissions of the Chinese Dharmaguptaka, Tibetan Mulasarvastivada & Theravada Vinayas ordination? That for over a thousand years now, the Japanese Buddhists have seen it fit to dispense away the Vinaya?

That's why they are known as Zen 'priest/priestess' and not 'monk/nun' because the 'ordination' done is based on the Bodhisattva Sila and not from any of the 3 Vinaya Pratimoksas as mentioned above. Merely wearing ancient Tang Dynasty cum Japanese styled robes, living in a monastic like communal setting and shaving the head, self imposed celibacy doesn't constitute a Vinaya Ordination...
I didn't knew details, but yes... that's a plus for me. Such strict Vinaya is a minus, IMO.
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

BlackBird, EdwardFlemer,

thanks... 'will be a barista until getting there.