Advice re. Ven Ajahn Sumedho, please.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: Advice re. Ven Ajahn Sumedho, please.

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:41 am

Ah the fun of cultural diffrences. I was told by a monk at a vihara I attended regularly that the Sangha had requested that the secretary should request ( we're getting there ) that the the laity bring only vegetarian food when possible. A few weeks later a group of lay folks laid on a special Dana meal largely consisting of Big Macs...
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks Sanghamitta

That sounds like something my kids would do to me!
Seriously, isn't there a precept that forbids a monk to make special requests or even hint at the type of food that is desired?
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 am

I think there is Ben. I think it was done as a delicate hint to someone who would make a delicate hint. Apparantly it was a bit too delicate, hence the appearence of dozens of boxes of Whoppers and fries. :smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda