Hello everyone !

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Ajisai

Hello everyone !

Postby Ajisai » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 am

Hello everyone :hello:

I am a 28 years old girl and I am new to Buddhism.
English is not my first language; I have a pretty good understanding but sometimes my expression gets a little weird so please do not hesitate to correct my english (I would really appreciate that actually) or ask questions if what I write is unclear.

(Before posting: I realize this is a very long post. If you quickly want to know about me, maybe it is better you read only the last part I put in blue. If you like long and boring readings though, you are welcome to do so).

My first encounter with buddhism is when my mom and I went to see the movie Little Buddha at a theater. I was little at the time, but I remember being very impressed by the Buddha's life and some of the Buddhist concepts. But that was all then, since I was being raised as a (tolerant) Catholic Christian.

My second encounter happened during my first trip to Japan about seven years ago. I lived there for a year, and like most tourists, during my travels I visited many beautiful Buddhist temples. The only Buddhist notions I had were vague recollections Buddhims as portrayed in movies, documentaries and tv shows. I then though it was too bad visiting Buddhist temples without knowing what Buddhim was about. So I bought the book "The teachings of Buddha" that was sold in one of the temples and started reading it. It was a complete discovery. I realized some completely new concepts, and at the same time there were many things on which I agreed. It changed my point of view on some things for some time, but then I kind of forgot about them.

After that I went back to my own country. From time to time, when I was looking for anwsers or feeling that something was missing, I would naturally turn to Buddhism, look for some books and read them. But most of the time the writing style of the books I chose was heavy and made it not very clear, and my interest would just gradually fade away.

Now I am back living in Japan again. Since a year, I have been having minor health problems which are caused by stress.
My way of living should be quite peacefull actually. My work is not supposedly very stressful, I have a boyfriend I am living with, I have friends...
I realized I have a tendancy to over-react to everything, which causes the stress, which causes me to have health problems, which increases stress, my health problems get worse, etc.
I have read some good books about stress that made me realize the problems do not come from my life but from my mind. I tried some techniques advised in the book but it was not very efficient. I also started to do some sport which helps me release some stress and also make me feel physically better, but I felt something else was missing.

Then I remembered about buddhism. I read a book in two parts, on about the sutra, the other about tantra. I got very enthusiastic about the sutra but the tantra did not correspond me at all. Then I looked for other types of Buddhism and I found out about Theravada which I think is more for me.

It had only been more than a week since then, and I found many very good books in English about the teachings of Buddha on the internet. I cannot stop wanting to read more about it, I think about it all the time, and this time I have decided to put the teachings into practice. I have many problems that I believe can be solved by the Buddha's teachings: I get easily angry or disappointed, I have tendancy to judge myself or the others, I never forgive myself, sometimes I lie, I am afraid of sickness and death, etc.

But to be honest, I am not sure if I really want to become a Buddhist.
What I feel know is that Buddha's teaching make so much sense, they are so close to my values and they are so wise I cannot ignore them. I do now know if the path is made for me, but I want to give a try because I believe it cannot harm me to try to do so, it can only do me good ! I will try practice the teachings for several months, and then I will chose if I want to continue and be able to call myself a Buddhist. I hope this is okay with you guys.

I will probably have lots of silly questions.

Oh, and I found this forum because I was looking an answer at the question "Does illegal downloading break the second principle?" and I found people had a great discussion here about it. Then I saw it was a Therevada forum and thought "Maybe this can become my Sangha".

Anyway, nice to meet you all. :smile:

cooran

Re: Hello everyone !

Postby cooran » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 am

Hello Ajisai,

Welcome to DhammaWheel :group:

Hope you find it of use.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:37 am

Ajisai wrote:Then I saw it was a Theravada forum and thought "Maybe this can become my Sangha".

:thumbsup:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Paul Davy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Davy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 am

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"Whether I were to preach in brief, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach in detail, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach both in brief or in detail, Sāriputta, rare are those who understand." (A I 333, Sāriputtasutta)

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:20 am

Welcome to DW!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

Return to “Introductions”