YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

karma question - Dhamma Wheel

karma question

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
jakartaguytebet

karma question

Postby jakartaguytebet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:41 am

I have some questions about karma. Its intriguing how Buddha never purported to know about heaven, gods, etc and yet talked of karma, past lives, and so on. Is this a contradiction?

And once we snuff out the flame and our mind becomes still, we are free from the cycle of rebirth. But doesn't this spell death? Wouldn't it be better to be reborn, albeit into suffering, but at least we would be alive. Nirvana seems to be an emptiness, a cessation of life.

I am obviously missing something.

Or is my concept of karma wrong: perhaps the release from karma can be interpreted as the release from impermanence in thought alone. We have only one life and nirvana is simply a higher realm of existence.

Thank you for your comments.

Aloka

Re: karma question

Postby Aloka » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:56 am

Hi,

You might find this talk about karma helpful. Its called "Who is pulling the strings" and is by Ajahn Amaro, abbot of Amaravati monastery. There's also a question and anwer session at the link, which you can listen to after the talk.

With kind wishes,

Aloka

jakartaguytebet

Postby jakartaguytebet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:29 pm

dxm_dxm

Postby dxm_dxm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am

"Non-existence scares the children and brings peace to the wise"

Think of the implications of existing: you will exist in innumerable posibilities, good and bad, very good and very bad, very very good and very very bad

Also, you should not try to imagine non existence, nirvana. You will not exist separate from the whole world, you will be in everything and nowhere, something like that. This concept is imposible to describe in words or imagine, budha said that nirvana is like the smell of a rose, it is imposible to describe in words the smell of a rose.

jakartaguytebet

Postby jakartaguytebet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:15 am

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 am

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:37 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

jakartaguytebet

Postby jakartaguytebet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:49 am

jakartaguytebet

Postby jakartaguytebet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am

Kusala

Postby Kusala » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 am

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

jakartaguytebet

Postby jakartaguytebet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 am

True, but one day "string theory" might be able to explain some of the amazing insights the Buddha had...[/quote]

Go on, you have my attention :D

Are you referring to other dimensions?
But the problem with string theory is that is not based on observation and cannot be tested. It may evolve into a religion.
But perhaps it can be proven mathematically; or if not proven shown to be viable.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:48 pm

jakartaguytebet

Postby jakartaguytebet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Are you saying the buddha taught about gods? Or spoke about gods?
If so, you have taught me something new.
I thought he avoided such questions, as evidenced by the quote I cut and pastd for you.
Thx

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:25 pm

anando

Postby anando » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:32 am

Hello,
i´m quite experienced in buddhist teaching. What is bothering me is, that there are no quotes of Pali-Kanon. Pali-Kanon is not the problem, but where
to fin it. i´m in posession of a translation of an ancient Pali-Canon from Colombo. This is a translation into german. On the left side there are the
page numbers of the original ancient Pali-Kanon. I personally do prefer Dighanikayo becaus Gotamo Buddho is telling more about the things he didn´t
speak before.How much karma one is accumulating is depending on the amount of good and bad deeds. The accounting is done after death.
If one has not enough good deeds he will have to do more life circles to proceed.
Buddhist Karma is in no way throwing you back but to stay or you proceed further.
There are 32 physical signs on our body that tell how far your Karma is advanced.
You will ge a great amont of positive Karma doing the Eightfold Path.

anando

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 am

It's not difficult to find the , but finding good translations of every sutta is not so easy.

Many translations can be found on Access to Insight, and a few of the more popular discourses — such as the — are translated and explained on my own web site.

The famous Maṅgala Sutta was taught to a god (deva), who approached the Buddha during the night and asked questions about the most auspicious signs or blessings that bring future happiness.

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Hello jakartaguytebet,

Here is how I understand karma.

Karma is action which is tinged by the ignorance of separateness of self in beings and things. The way we understand existence and non existence is directly informed by our ignorance and it is very hard to discern this. There are effects which karma brings and this is called vipaka or literally fruit. Karma and Vipaka can be understood as the way ignorance is perpetuated without a discernible end. To model this in your mind you must use some form of "self" view which means that however you think about existence that is never how it is.

With regard to the Buddha he did away with ignorance so that he had no need to model existence in his mind to understand it. He just knew and did his best to communicate the way in which we too can come to know. He also did a very good job of showing us how to live happily so that our happiness would support the long term welfare of one and many.

Karma is simple but that does not mean it is easy to understand.

Take Care

Prasadachitta
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

HumbleThinker

Postby HumbleThinker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 pm

"I know that I know nothing" -Socrates

IOW, take what I say with a grain of salt, for I likely know as little or less than you do.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”