Buddhist monks and TM

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Buddhist monks and TM

Postby pilgrim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:09 am

I find it rather strange that Buddhists monks in Sri Lanka and in a Buddhist residential school in Thailand are teaching TM. Is there a good reason for this?

http://meditationasheville.blogspot.com ... ental.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-purce ... 83746.html
pilgrim

Re: Buddhist monks and TM

Postby Jhana4 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 am

I have no idea.

If I had to guess I would say I remember reading that in Asia many monks rarely meditate and there are few monks around to teach them even if they were interested. Maybe in that absence, the TM teachers are filling a void. I haven't read anything about TM for years, but I what I remember reading said bascially that you pay hundreds of dollars for a TM teacher to give you a word (mantra) to repeat over and over to yourself mentally. Supposedly the word is tailored to your personally, but you could probably save yourself some money and just use "aum".
Last edited by Jhana4 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby Kingdubrock » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:41 pm

I dont know much about them but there is this Thai Buddhist organization in Canada, they might exist elsewhere, called Willpower Institute. They teach meditation to anyone. Havent looked into them for a while, but it sure didnt strike me as remotley classical and they use mantras or a short mantra or something. Maybe there is a recognition, as Jhana4 said, that not many monks meditate anymore and at the very least mantras can be relaxing and vivifying.
I approached the head monk at the local Sri Lankan tenple/monastery to see if he would be willing to be my advisor on Satipatthana practice and Abhidhamma study and he admitted, that as non-ideal as it is, he has spent most of his monastic career in adminsitrative and community work, much like say Christian pastors do, rather than immersing themselves in contempative practices.
Kingdubrock

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:18 am

Jhana4 wrote:... I haven't read anything about TM for years, but I what I remember reading said bascially that you pay hundreds of dollars for a TM teacher to give you a word (mantra) to repeat over and over to yourself mentally. Supposedly the word is tailored to you personally, but you could probably save yourself some money and just use "aum".

I signed up for TM many years ago when it was fairly new in Australia and growing fast. Basic initiation/training was as you say - mantra meditation, 20 minutes morning and evening, with group meditations available at local centres. Initiation did cost - not hundreds but enough that you would take it seriously - and optional further courses all had bigger costs. I got a lot out of the basic technique but went no further, partly because I looked at people who had done so and didn't like what I saw.
I haven't been in touch with them for ... ah ... decades. When I just searched for them online I found http://tm.org.au/pages/where-to-learn-transcendental-meditation 13 centres nationally, which I think is about what there were back when I was involved.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Return to Open Dhamma