YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

the great rebirth debate - Page 240 - Dhamma Wheel

the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
clw_uk

Re: the great rebirth debate

Postby clw_uk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm

About 5 minutes into this video the woman mentions a "Dr. Tucker" who basically did the same thing the often mentioned Dr. Stephonson of the US did.

FWIW

I'm still agnostic

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:31 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:51 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks for reminding me Of the link to Patrick's article. :smile:

I'm currently attending a 10 week course given by Patrick on the Satipatthana Sutta on Sunday evenings here in Brisbane.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:27 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:30 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Nikaya35

Postby Nikaya35 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I don't think too much about karma and rebirth but I'm very aware that both doctrines are part of the Buddha teachings .

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 am

It occurred to me yesterday that in my entire life I have never given rebirth much consideration. Even when I was living with my birth family and attended christian church, Sunday school, and christian youth groups (my birth family was very active in church activities but christian ideas were not mentioned at home) I never gave much thought to being reborn in heaven or hell......it never was an issue for me...I never really thought about it.

And now that I am studying what the Buddha taught I still don't give much thought to rebirth......it is an issue that I don't usually even think about. I'm wondering if this is wide spread and if it comes from both sides of the debate. For those with an active view of rebirth, did you already have ideas about some kind of rebirth (including the Christian ideas on it) and was it something you thought about before you started your Buddhist studies? For those who set the teachings on rebirth aside or who have a disbelief view on rebirth was rebirth never an issue in your life before you started your Buddhist studies?

chownah

Sanjay PS

Postby Sanjay PS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm

This is a raging topic , but i think the cultivating of Bhavana through Vipassana , naturally gets one to realize the truth of what we sow we reap .

Hence do we find in the world beings being born in different kind of vistas and predicament that change from time to time . On one hand we find infants born in the most perilous situations , with none to look after them , or parents that are most indifferent troubled by abject penury or other troubles . On the other hand , another infant is born in a family bestowed with all kinds of gaiety and good will. Similarly the elderly , some can be seen wandering homeless , ill and none to take care. Others are comforted in their old age , and have only the old age to worry of .

This and many things more makes us naturally realize , that nothing happens owing to chance . Even the quiver of a leaf has a cause........

If some one does get to see the many countless births that one has lived doing skillful and unskillful actions , resulting in the growth of the seeds and its fruits , still the actual transformation of abandoning all unskillful actions will come only when one is saturated for sufficient time in the feeling of deep wisdom or bhavana. The seeing of births earlier can serve to the extent of being an inspiration. It is the feeling that is all important , and gets about the gradual change in all of us. Thereby helping us help ourselves in taking care of the many unfortunate .

Dhamma is broad and deep as the limitless sky above us .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:03 am

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Is it controversial these days to talk about people who are reborn into disabled bodies as a result of their Karma? I listened to a talk by Ajahn Sumedho who wouldn't be drawn into this debate, claiming that it is speculative and not worth thinking about, but I have read Buddhist texts which claim that if one has bad karma they could be reborn into a disabled body.
For the record I work with disabled people for a living, who would be more than offended if you mentioned this to them. Not only that, but many disabled people I know have purer minds than so called abled people, and many of them are very happy in their lives despite their physical limitations.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello all,

This may be of interest:

Misunderstandings of the Law of Kamma
http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/kamma6.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

greenjuice

Postby greenjuice » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 pm

kmath

Postby kmath » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 pm

greenjuice

Postby greenjuice » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 pm

Well, if the mentioned notion is true, technically, they would have fruit of bad kamma, not bad kamma. Even Buddha had an injury, although a minute one, as a fruit of past bad kamma.

AJungianIdeal

Postby AJungianIdeal » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:15 am

I'm trying real hard to try and make rebirth mesh with neuroscience. Does rebirth depend on a dualistic conception of the mind? If not, what gets "transferred" as it was?

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 am

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”