Understanding Self

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Varillon

Understanding Self

Post by Varillon »

I am trying to bring a lot of concepts down to my level of understanding. One of the difficult ones has been the self. Currently, I'm leaning toward this analogy: The human body is nothing more than a space suit or deep sea diving suit we must inhabit for a short time to gain experiences in a new plane. The problem comes from the human body having cravings and desires. (Perhaps hunger is a new experience for us.) In gaining experience through being human, we must overcome things, like cravings, that produce suffering, or this suffering stays attached to our spirit form. I am assuming here that we are also attached in some way to our physical bodies until human death.

So am I in the ball park, or does this need some serious refining?

Namaste
Ceisiwr

Re: Understanding Self

Post by Ceisiwr »

Varillon wrote:I am trying to bring a lot of concepts down to my level of understanding. One of the difficult ones has been the self. Currently, I'm leaning toward this analogy: The human body is nothing more than a space suit or deep sea diving suit we must inhabit for a short time to gain experiences in a new plane. The problem comes from the human body having cravings and desires. (Perhaps hunger is a new experience for us.) In gaining experience through being human, we must overcome things, like cravings, that produce suffering, or this suffering stays attached to our spirit form. I am assuming here that we are also attached in some way to our physical bodies until human death.

So am I in the ball park, or does this need some serious refining?

Namaste

The idea of "self" or "I am" comes to be via feeling developing into craving.

For example, a brick falls on a leg. There is contact between the body, the brick and a painful feeling is produced.

If there is ignorance then there is aversion to the feeling and so "I am" is born... And so a sense of self.

All doctrines, notions/ feelings of self arise from the same process ... Contact, external object (bricks, ideas etc) and feeling combined with ignorance.

If however we are aware of feelings, we see that they are subject to change, they are painful if followed and are not-self. Then when there is a feeling, we just observe it as it is. Then "I am" or "self" is not born and all notions and doctrines of self disappear. :)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Seiyo

Post by Seiyo »

From my understanding, I believe that you are correct in your interpretation.

Be well...
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

It needs refining. There is no "we" to be attached to our human bodies. Nor an "I" to wear the space suit. There is a train of thought (consciousness) that is associated with the other four aggregates.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
Varillon

Post by Varillon »

For some reason, I didn't recall aggregates from my readings and decided to look it up. Now I get it. I was struggling with the idea of what's left when the human part dies. "I" wanted to label it when the whole idea wasn't necessary for my growth. Thanks for the help!

Namaste
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Varillon wrote:For some reason, I didn't recall aggregates from my readings and decided to look it up. Now I get it. I was struggling with the idea of what's left when the human part dies. "I" wanted to label it when the whole idea wasn't necessary for my growth. Thanks for the help!

Namaste
That's much closer!

:meditate:
Kim
Derek

Post by Derek »

Try this 60-second explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATOkm47P0Y4
Varillon

Post by Varillon »

Thanks, Derek. This must be the hardest part for a lot of people. I find myself phasing in and out of understanding while reflecting. It's like consciousness is a ping pong ball, and my senses are the paddles.