From the Sister site

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Yan kong

From the Sister site

Post by Yan kong »

Hello,

I'm here from the sister site Dharma Wheel. I go to a Chinese temple in Vancouver which I suppose would make me a practitioner of one of the Mahayana schools. Though I have an interest in Buddhism as a whole and I always knew I was largely ignorant of the details of Theravada then someone on Dharma Wheel linked to an old thread here about Tantric Theravada which motivated my signing up to this forum. I think I would really like to learn the differences and subtleties between different Theravada traditions. Well that's my shpeel.

Yan Kong
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: From the Sister site

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I never heard of Tantric Theravāda — it's a contradiction of terms. Tantric Buddhism is not the Buddha's teaching at all, but something imported from Hinduism.

Perhaps you would like to tell us more about what you think Tantric Theravāda might be?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Yan Kong,

I presume this is the thread you mean:
Tantric Theravada?

:anjali:
Mike
Yan kong

Post by Yan kong »

Mikenz66 that is exactly the thread I was talking about, I have not yet read the entire thread.

Bikkhu Pesala, I don't really mean anything by it outside of what is in the posted thread which appears to be practices that have remnants of things from another era which bears resemblance to things that are found in tantric buddhism. Whether one defines that as heretical or simply wouldn't define it as tantric is their business.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:yingyang:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Yan Kong!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Yan Kong and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Welcome, Yan Kong.
I hang around both sites so I often cross-refer members when a old thread on one site is relevant to a new one on the other. That's what happened to bring you here, too.
For me, the Pali Canon is important because it's as as close as we're likely to get to the Buddha's original teaching, but I welcome insights from all schools.

:namaste:
Kim
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Ni hao Yan Kong! Ni zenme yang? :smile:

I speak Mandarin Chinese.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha