Meditation and Diet (controlling poor eating habits)

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Marfa

Re: Meditation and Diet (controlling poor eating habits)

Post by Marfa »

DonnieRage wrote:What kind of stuff could I dip things like carrots and celery in, other than ranch? Anyone think honey would be tasty dipping or would the flavors be to contrasting?
hi DR, you can try to make your own sauce using yogurt (either cow or soy one).Add some olive oil and the spices that go in the ranch sauce,or go your own way and experiment.
Ben

Post by Ben »

DonnieRage wrote:What kind of stuff could I dip things like carrots and celery in, other than ranch? Anyone think honey would be tasty dipping or would the flavors be to contrasting?
Here are a few to get you started:

Guacamole: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutritio ... le-recipes
Baba Ganoush: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/25913/baba+ghanoush
Houmous: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/houmous-2

Personally, I would stay away from honey or using other sweeteners. You'll only be exacerbating the problem of finding vegetables unpalatable and only finding super-sweet tastes palatable. You will also be setting up the conditions for future obesity, diabetes and other chronic conditions. Most vegetables have complex and beautiful flavours, some of which are naturally sweet. Just give yourself some time to accustom yourself to the new flavour and texture profiles.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
reflection

Post by reflection »

Congratulations on your choice of trying to eat vegetarian. It really changed my eating pattern into a much more healthy one - and believe it or not - also a more enjoyable one.

I often make a simple yogurt dip because it is so easy and fast. You can do it in a million ways so it doesn't have to become boring, but just yoghurt, salt, pepper and mixed spices (like Indian masasa) is enough for me. If I want I add garlic(paste). A famous yogurt sauce is Greek tsatsiki, takes a bit more time but you can make some and put it in the fridge for later.

If you like sweet you could try to make a puree of carrots - just saute some grated carrot in a bit of butter and blend afterward. It'll become very very sweet.

You could make a honey mustard dip as well. Just plain honey I don't think would be that great.
JeffR

Post by JeffR »

Ben wrote:
Here are a few to get you started:

Guacamole: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutritio ... le-recipes
Baba Ganoush: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/25913/baba+ghanoush
Houmous: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/houmous-2

Personally, I would stay away from honey or using other sweeteners. You'll only be exacerbating the problem of finding vegetables unpalatable and only finding super-sweet tastes palatable. You will also be setting up the conditions for future obesity, diabetes and other chronic conditions. Most vegetables have complex and beautiful flavours, some of which are naturally sweet. Just give yourself some time to accustom yourself to the new flavour and texture profiles.
Great suggestions for dip by Ben. I avoid salad dressings due to the fats, sugars and additives. Avocados are also a good source of plant protein and healthy fats that someone going vegie must add to their diet. I prefer Houmous and Baba Ganoush to Guacamole, don't know the protein value, although Garbonzo beans are legumes so there should be plant protein value in the Houmous.

I've read that eating beans with rice is better than eating beans plain. Something to do with better absorption in the intestinal tract when rice is present. I experience less gas eating beans in this combination as well :embarassed: .

Ben,
I would like a link to the health effects of corn syrup. Although I avoid sweeteners of all kinds, I do like to be informed.

-Jeff
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
Ben

Post by Ben »

JeffR wrote:I avoid salad dressings due to the fats, sugars and additives. Avocados are also a good source of plant protein and healthy fats that someone going vegie must add to their diet. I prefer Houmous and Baba Ganoush to Guacamole, don't know the protein value, although Garbonzo beans are legumes so there should be plant protein value in the Houmous.
I have an app on my phone that calculates nutrients of recipes per serving. There will be protein in the houmous. Not so much in the baba ganoush or guacamole. But where they might lack in protein - they have other good phyto nutrients.
JeffR wrote:I've read that eating beans with rice is better than eating beans plain. Something to do with better absorption in the intestinal tract when rice is present. I experience less gas eating beans in this combination as well :embarassed: .
I recently read research which suggests the thinking regarding complementing amino acids from different food sources is no longer considered valid. And again, its important to differentiate what sort of rice one is talking about. White rice is sadly lacking in nutrient value and IMHO avoided. Go for brown rice, black rice or red rice. Another excellent alternative to healthy strains of rice is quinoa, particularly black quinoa.
JeffR wrote:Ben,
I would like a link to the health effects of corn syrup. Although I avoid sweeteners of all kinds, I do like to be informed.
No problem, Jeff. I'll organise that for you tonight.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Joe33060

Post by Joe33060 »

The food that produces tranquility and pure thoughts. This consist of fruits and vegetable, milk that is not very hot and only small quantity butter, cheese, dairy product, honey, almonds, oats, wheat, pulse rice, it include all simple light food in small quantity.

The food that which makes the mind crave worldly activity. It consist of eggs, fish, saffron, pastry, salt, pepper and all stimulating articles including tea, coffee, and hot milk or any food in large quantities.

Now the food the produce sluggish, anger etc. It consist of meat,wine, tobacco, and heavy and stale food, or too much of anythings and of course all alcoholic drinks.
these were notes I had, they were useful suggestion.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Joe33060 wrote:these were notes I had, they were useful suggestion.
No, they're not.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Joe33060

Post by Joe33060 »

If these are not good suggestion my apology,
mirco

Post by mirco »

Joe33060 wrote:If these are not good suggestions my apology,
They are just fine.
ricebowl

Post by ricebowl »

I'm pretty much into coffee and tea these few years