Jeweler kills a robber, becomes a hero on social networks

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Jeweler kills a robber, becomes a hero on social networks

Postby Ajisai » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:09 am

I'm living in Japan now but I'm from France.

Apparently there has been a lot of talking about a jeweler who killed one of the guys who just robbed him.

What is striking about this story is that lots of people are actually supporting the idea that he was right to do so. I have some friends and even some family on my facebook page who actually believe the robber deserved to be killed by the jeweler.
In France only hunters are allowed to have guns and usually people are not very fond of the idea of doing justice by themselves. But it seems it is changing somehow.
Television and news seem to help people think nowhere is safe anymore and that there are not being protected correctly, now they are afraid and angry which leads to this kind of reaction.

There is an article in English here if you would like more detail:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/15/tp-french-jeweler-hero-or-killer/

I find it reflects a lot of problems the Buddha talked about so I thought I would share.
Ajisai

Re: Jeweler kills a robber, becomes a hero on social network

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 am

Ajisai wrote:What is striking about this story is that lots of people are actually supporting the idea that he was right to do so. I have some friends and even some family on my facebook page who actually believe the robber deserved to be killed by the jeweler.

To even speak in praise of killing will reap very dark kamma.
When we ourselves become established in the Dhamma we become beacons to those who are genuinely interested in ending their experience in samsara. Living a Dhammic life will have a far more profound effect on the minds of others than engaging in discussion.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Stephan Turk, 67, shot an 18-year-old in the back on Wednesday as he and another robber were fleeing on a scooter with gems stolen from the jeweller's shop in the French Riviera city of Nice.

This is murder. Even in the very pro-gun U.S., this would be considered murder. There is no way that is self-defense when the thief is shot in the back as he is fleeing.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ajisai » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:08 am

Yesterday there was a demonstration of about 800 people in Nice, defending the jeweler, saying that it was self-defense. As you say, David, I cannot see why it is not just considered as plain murder !

And now, to add even more ignorance and stupidity to this story, some people are changing their minds, stopping to support the jeweler because... the jeweler is of turkish origin, and the boy who was killed was "100% French". :| So now for some people since the jeweler is 'arab', he is wrong. Even though they supported him in the first place...

Ben, many thanks for your message. I hope I will be able to become a beacon too, and prevent other people from reaping the fruit of such unwholesome kamma.
Ajisai

Return to Lounge