Shooter at DC shipyard was Buddhist

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Shooter at DC shipyard was Buddhist

Post by DNS »

Today Aaron Alexis shot and killed 12 people at a Naval shipyard where apparently he worked or was about to work.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

Reports just in indicate that he was a Buddhist and learning the Thai language at a Buddhist temple. He was working at a Thai restaurant for free to learn the language better.

As far as I know, this is the first time a Buddhist has done a serial killing in the U.S. (and hopefully the last) and perhaps the first mass shooting by a Buddhist in any non-Buddhist country.

:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:
Viscid

Re: Shooter at DC shipyard was Buddhist

Post by Viscid »

Truly bizarre.. It'll be interesting to see how it led to this-- how someone who is attracted to a religion which so emphatically denounces violence can murder so many people.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Ben

Post by Ben »

Metta and my merits to all those affected.
:candle:
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

David N. Snyder wrote:Today Aaron Alexis shot and killed 12 people at a Naval shipyard where apparently he worked or was about to work.

Reports just in indicate that he was a Buddhist and learning the Thai language at a Buddhist temple. He was working at a Thai restaurant for free to learn the language better.

As far as I know, this is the first time a Buddhist has done a serial killing in the U.S. (and hopefully the last) and perhaps the first mass shooting by a Buddhist in any non-Buddhist country.

:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:
The Dhamma ending age...
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

People practise Dhamma to be better people, not because they are already good. May he have the circumstances to practise better in the future.
Digity

Post by Digity »

This guy obviously had some deep and disturbing issues about himself. Going to a Buddhist temple isn't going to solve that. The guy probably needed some serious therapy and didn't get it and now this. This has become a pretty common occurrence in the US.
mirco

Post by mirco »

Viscid wrote:Truly bizarre..
Kusala wrote:The Dhamma ending age...
Dear friends, it's the actual progress, that counts, not the imaginary perfection.

For him it is better that he turned towards Buddhism before this happend than he if didn't.

Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

He has been compared to Charles Whitman, who had a very similar occurrence happen. His case did not involve any Buddhism, but in his own writing (he wrote a journal) he seemed to indicate that he didn't know at all why he was having such thoughts dominate his mind. It was like someone/something turned on a switch in his head. I'm wondering if this case and autopsy will find something similar with Alexis. Most friends of his spoke well of him, and were apparently shocked of the news yesterday.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Reports just in indicate that he was a Buddhist...(and) this is the first time a Buddhist has done a serial killing in the U.S.

Reading just the one article (above), and not to dissect this too much, I see/saw no indication that he was Buddhist...basically he hung with Thais and meditated a little (for a while)...not too unlike Novak Djokovic when playing Wimbledon...

A sad, senseless mess nonetheless... :candle:
Digity

Post by Digity »

I think it said he quit the temple in 2011 and was known to be a heavy drinker, starting at 9:30 am. This guy was no Buddhist...it's just the news people trying to play up an angle.
mirco

Post by mirco »

Digity wrote:I think it said he quit the temple in 2011 and was known to be a heavy drinker, starting at 9:30 am. This guy was no Buddhist...it's just the news people trying to play up an angle.
You can't know, if he was a Buddhist.

He could have taken the Five Precepts each morning.

Not to break them is another deal.

We all do our best, no matter what our Kamma has in store for us.

Kind Regards
Digity

Post by Digity »

Now they're saying he heard voices in his head. Seems the guy had schizophrenia.
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

mirco wrote:
Digity wrote:I think it said he quit the temple in 2011 and was known to be a heavy drinker, starting at 9:30 am. This guy was no Buddhist...it's just the news people trying to play up an angle.
You can't know, if he was a Buddhist.

He could have taken the Five Precepts each morning.

Not to break them is another deal.

We all do our best, no matter what our Kamma has in store for us.
I do agree with you in general.

But I don't see the precepts as something you can break; they are training-goals, not rules. As with all training we all have a (individual) starting point, in time we improve our skills, sometimes we do worse; but in the long run we aim to be better.

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
mirco

Post by mirco »

Dear Doshin,
Doshin wrote:I do agree with you in general. But I don't see the precepts as something you can break; they are training-goals, not rules. As with all training we all have a (individual) starting point, in time we improve our skills, sometimes we do worse; but in the long run we aim to be better. _/\_
yes, I see that.

To me, formally 'taking' the precepts comes with or builds up a certain energy. If I have done so, the alertness rises, for when I am about not to behave in harmonious way. It kind of strengthens the 'remindive' factor.

The same, when I behaved unharmonious. Forgiving myself for having done so and not knowing better and 'taking' the training vows again, helps.

The 'rules' to me are but precious training aids.

Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Buddhist community ponders apparent link between their faith and Navy Yard shooter
http://tinyurl.com/n4tczhh
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.