Inspiring news article

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Ben

Inspiring news article

Post by Ben »

For your benefit
Jeremy does his best thinking at sunrise

JEREMY Britton is no stranger to sunrise.

The keen Vipassana meditator has been a familiar sight at Warana beach in the early hours of the morning for three years.

Jeremy's drawn quite the crowd - from drunken revellers stumbling home to curious beach walkers wondering what his story was.

He has kept track of his personal commitment - he will celebrate his 1000th sunrise meditation today.

"My goal's just been to do it as long as I can," he said.

"I never wondered if I could do 1000 sunrise meditations. I have no intention to stop."

Jeremy's way of life has been featured on his radio show based in New York, and a recently filmed television show in Brisbane.

His efforts have even attracted the attention of documentary filmmakers interested in telling his story.

But life wasn't always this way for the 41-year-old.

He suffered a heart attack at 33, got divorced, nearly lost his business and became homeless for a time.

He lost his daughter in 2009. It sent him into a deep depression.

"I had nothing left to live for," he said.

Eventually he was recommended Vipassana meditation by three separate people. "I took it as a sign from the universe," he said.

Jeremy took part in a 10-day retreat at Pomona to master the meditation.

When he left he wondered just how long he could keep it up.

"I did it one day, next day and next day. After I did it for two weeks it was a habit.

"I've been going every day since, for three years now. I missed some at Warana when I was in Africa for two months, but I got up for sunrise to meditate there."

INVITE

Jeremy Britton has extended an invite to the community to join him for his 1000th sunrise at Warana on September 14. The get together will have an old Tibetan Buddhist monk doing a free guided meditation down on the beach from 5am followed by BBQ breakfast.

http://www.noosanews.com.au/news/jeremy ... e/2020507/
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Re: Inspiring news article

Post by SarathW »

Meditaion at sunrise is such a great experience.
Inspiring story. Lucky he had some good frineds.
:thumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

It was good to see his smiling photo in the story. To suffer a heart attack,divorce, and then to lose a child must have put him on the brink of absolute despair. Maybe meditation and the company of kalyana mitta has kept him anchored, and now he is an inspiration to many. I wish him good health, peace and happiness on the rest of his interesting journey.
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Ben,

Great story! I wish Mr. Britton the best. His story is quite inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

Metta,
LG2V
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you all.

I actually used to live in Noosa over 25 years ago and at the time, felt like a lone practitioner of the Dhamma. There were a few other co-practitioners in the area but it was only after I left that the Pomona vipassana meditation centre was established and the Sunshine Coast become much more of a hub for the Dhamma (in a variety of traditions).
Jeremy's story is definitely very inspiring and is a great story to communicate to the general public some of the day-to-day benefits of living a Dhammic life.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

It's really great that you posted it, Ben. Stories like this make a difference. Thank you.