YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Improving Buddhism/The Imperfect Buddha - Page 6 - Dhamma Wheel

Improving Buddhism/The Imperfect Buddha

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
danieLion

Re: Improving Buddhism/The Imperfect Buddha

Postby danieLion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:55 pm

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:59 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:18 am

Jack, I have no gripes with your views and I think that most people here accept that the Buddha was fully enlightened.

My last comment was simply because I was puzzled by your style. Besides that I was concerned that you are OK, that's all.

My reading of this discussion is that it is more around tangential points and interpretations rather than doubting what the Buddha taught. We have all taken refuge here, I think, and I assume that we all mean it. But what that implies is of course different to each one of us.
_/|\_

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:31 am

Thank you for your concern Dan, you can rest easy, for I am not a kook who has gone mad and thought himself an arahant...

But if I were a non returner, or an arahant bound to die within 7 days or even a sotapanna for that matter (which I am not - As far as I know) and was foolish enough to declare it to you, you would undoubtedly think I was mad, or at the very least confused and over estimating, and that was a point I moaned about earlier. But thinking further on the topic, it is to be expected that such is the case. We live in a boy who cried wolf situation in this case, at least for those of us who have been around the Sangha-block so to speak.

Finally, I think you might be jumping the gun in assuming that everyone here has taken refuge, even with the proviso that refuge might mean different things to different people (despite the Buddha being quite categorical about what it should mean) - At least in my eyes it is clear that there is more than one person here who does not think the Buddha was real, or indeed fully enlightened/perfect (the two are quite synonymous).

Now at the risk of becoming a hypocrite (for I have said multiple times that I'm going, and returned to address a certain point or post) I must act in accordance with my statements and depart :)

metta
Jack
Last edited by BlackBird on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:33 am

Hello all,

No need to feel Dosa if people have different perspectives on the Buddha and his Dhamma. One of the most valuable Suttas for me over the years has been the Akkosa Sutta:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .wlsh.html

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:17 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:04 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:28 am

Hello all,

Worth the read to understand Defilements:

Don't Look Down on the Defilements, They will Laugh at you - by Sayadaw U Tejaniya
http://sayadawutejaniya.org/wp-content/ ... pp1-39.pdf

With metta
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:03 pm

The word "perfect" is very broad and will need to be defined in context. The Buddha's physical body wasn't perfect for it was still subjected to pains and injuries. Nor his health for he still got old and sick. He couldn't get rid of the terrible consequences sentient beings had to face due to their past negative kamma, etc. However, He's "perfect" in terms of morality, meditation, and wisdom. Same thing for His teaching. It's perfect in the sense that the 3 characteristics, 4NT, 8NP, 12 DO, etc.. are true and will remain so in this endless samsara..

SDC

Postby SDC » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Last edited by SDC on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

equilibrium

Postby equilibrium » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Kusala

Postby Kusala » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 pm

The Meaning of the Buddha's Awakening http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ening.html

"As the Buddha says at one point in describing his Awakening, 'Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose - as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, and resolute.' In other words, he gained liberating knowledge through qualities that we can all develop: heedfulness, ardency, resolution. If we are willing to face the implications of this fact, we realize that the Buddha's Awakening is a challenge to our entire set of values. The fact that the Unconditioned can be attained forces us to re-evaluate any other goals we may set for ourselves, whatever worlds we want to create, in our lives...

Even for those who are not ready to make that kind of investment, the Awakening assures us that happiness comes from developing qualities within ourselves that we can be proud of, such as kindness, sensitivity, equanimity, mindfulness, conviction, determination, and discernment. Again, this is a very different message from the one we pick up from the world telling us that in order to gain happiness we have to develop qualities we can't take any genuine pride in: aggressiveness, self-aggrandizement, dishonesty, etc."

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

chownah

Postby chownah » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 am

What is the world?
It is the six sense media.
What is the Buddha in the world?
It is a sight, smell, sound, taste, touch, and idea.
Is the Buddha perfect?
Only as perfect as sight, smell, sound, taste, touch, and idea can be.
chownah

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:50 am

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

SDC

Postby SDC » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:27 pm

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:42 am

Last edited by danieLion on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 am

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”