Rupa

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Re: Rupa

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:44 pm

TheDhamma, that is so beautiful! Wow, thanks for sharing it :anjali:
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Do Theravada practitioners make offerings with shrines? I'm sure you don't do water offerings and such, but do you offer candles or incense?
When you go to a local temple do you give offerings for the shrine, like candles?

Thanks, just curious :anjali:
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:48 am

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Do Theravada practitioners make offerings with shrines? I'm sure you don't do water offerings and such, but do you offer candles or incense?

"Traditional" Theravadins, such as the Thai people here offer all kinds of things. Food, and so on... Sometimes I'll add some of the food I brought to the tray.
Ngawang Drolma wrote:When you go to a local temple do you give offerings for the shrine, like candles?

In Thailand I'd do the usual incense thing. I only do that here on special occasions.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:03 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Ngawang Drolma wrote:Do Theravada practitioners make offerings with shrines? I'm sure you don't do water offerings and such, but do you offer candles or incense?

"Traditional" Theravadins, such as the Thai people here offer all kinds of things. Food, and so on... Sometimes I'll add some of the food I brought to the tray.
Ngawang Drolma wrote:When you go to a local temple do you give offerings for the shrine, like candles?

In Thailand I'd do the usual incense thing. I only do that here on special occasions.

Mike

Thanks Mike, very interesting. I'm sorry, what's the usual incense thing in Thailand?

:anjali:
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:57 am

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:
Ngawang Drolma wrote:Thanks Mike, very interesting. I'm sorry, what's the usual incense thing in Thailand?

Sorry, I mean just lighting some small sticks of incense. Usually you'll get a package of a candle, three sticks of incense and a lotus.

As opposed to China where you get truly humongous sticks of incense... :tongue:

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 am

Gotcha, thanks! :)
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:17 pm

forestmat wrote:Greetings Ngawang,

the Rupa looks great.

The one you put outside would look even better if it was raised up off the floor. :buddha1:

I know you are well intentioned, it's just that having the Buddha at one's feet makes me wince.

Perhaps you could make a small concrete plinth and use the concrete to cover the broken part.

Nevertheless a lovely rupa.

With metta

forestmat

Dear forestmat,

Since reading your post, the outdoor Buddha in the dirt began to bother me. I became determined to bring it inside, clean it up, and find a way to disguise the badly broken parts. Here's the result:

I'm much happier with this! It feels much more respectful. The broken parts are not so noticable because they're in the corners of the table and behind the table. Thanks so much for your feedback.

Best wishes,
Ngawang

:anjali:
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:26 am

That's lovely, Ngawang!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Shrine Room