Is it needed to attend a Buddha temple?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
arijitmitter

Is it needed to attend a Buddha temple?

Post by arijitmitter »

Do I need to attend a Theravada Buddha temple at regular intervals ? I am becoming a more and more refined Dhamma follower by keeping the teachings of Buddha in my heart and mind always.

The monastery / temple, I used to go to is really hard to attend since it is only open to general public from 6 - 8 PM and I have taken a new job which is till 8 PM. Weekends, I am too tired. In any case nothing happens there except Buddha Vandana at 6 PM. Not that the Bhante can ( or wants to answer ) a difficult query on DO or mindfulness. So is it at all needed ?

Not that all Theravadans live close to Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Brahm, Bhikkhu Bodhi or a kind Bhante like Yuttadhammo who takes care to explain to the disciple.
cooran

Re: Is it needed to attend a Buddha temple?

Post by cooran »

Hello arijitmitter,

I seem to recall you being in Calcutta? If so, have you had any contact with these places?:

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... vince_id=0

It is not necessary to attend a Temple - but usually lay people gain companionship from other lay practitioners and teaching from the Bhikku. If this isn't happening for you, try to get to a 10 day Retreat when possible.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
arijitmitter

Post by arijitmitter »

cooran wrote:Hello arijitmitter,

I seem to recall you being in Calcutta? If so, have you had any contact with these places?:

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.ph ... vince_id=0

With metta,
Chris
I attend the 3rd one on the list. The rest are miles away ( One is 2 hours drive away and one about 4 hours drive; the latter among them is actually in next city. We have too many cars and too little road space so driving takes time ).

I am trying my level best to attend a 10 day retreat this December with S N Goenka's organization. However it is in actuality, not 10 day but 12 day, as those who have completed 10 days there have told me it is best to take day -1 and +1 off from work also for best effect. That is 12 days off from work. Trying to make it happen; let me see what transpires. Summer is best time to take such a break for me. But they do not allow ceiling fans and at 104 F heat and 90 % humidity ( actual heat humidity feeling of 160 F ) it is bit hard to meditate ( though I am sure monks in Thai forests do meditate under such conditions ).

Oddly enough it is actually easier for an American to learn Theravadan Buddhism than me, a guy who lives 400 kms from where Buddha was born and preached !! So frustrating that Hinduism consumes all in it's path.

There is an organisation called Mahabodhi Society of India dedicated to Buddhist studies. A man who publishes Buddhist books and is an eminent member of the place said to me that there is no way one can find a teacher in Calcutta or rest of India. There are only 2 - 3 and they mostly travel between India and Thailand. In fact he also prevented me from taking formal Pancca Sila vows in Calcutta - saying it is better to visit Bodh Gaya and request a visiting Thai or Sri Lankan Bhikkhu to perform it. He has a dim view of Theravadan Bhikkhus in Calcutta.

:namaste: Arijit
Last edited by arijitmitter on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

The Path lies between our ears, not in a temple... :candle:
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

arijitmitter wrote:Do I need to attend a Theravada Buddha temple at regular intervals ? I am becoming a more and more refined Dhamma follower by keeping the teachings of Buddha in my heart and mind always.

The monastery / temple, I used to go to is really hard to attend since it is only open to general public from 6 - 8 PM and I have taken a new job which is till 8 PM. Weekends, I am too tired. In any case nothing happens there except Buddha Vandana at 6 PM. Not that the Bhante can ( or wants to answer ) a difficult query on DO or mindfulness. So is it at all needed ?

Not that all Theravadans live close to Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Brahm, Bhikkhu Bodhi or a kind Bhante like Yuttadhammo who takes care to explain to the disciple.
'Monks, even if a monk should take hold of the edge of my outer garment and should walk close behind me, step for step, yet if he should be covetous, strongly attracted by pleasures of the senses, malevolent in thought, of corrupt mind and purpose, of confused recollection, inattentive and not contemplative, scatter-brained, his sense-faculties uncontrolled, then he is far from me and I am far from him.'

'Monks, if the monk should be staying even a hundred miles away, yet he is not covetous, not strongly attracted by the pleasures of the senses, not malevolent in thought, not of corrupt mind and purpose, his collection firmly set, attentive, contemplative, his thoughts be one-pointed, restrained in his sense-faculties, then he is near me and I am near him.'
(Samyutta Nikaya)
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
plwk

Post by plwk »

Do I need to attend a Theravada Buddha temple at regular intervals ? I am becoming a more and more refined Dhamma follower by keeping the teachings of Buddha in my heart and mind always.

'Monks, even if a monk should take hold of the edge of my outer garment and should walk close behind me, step for step, yet if he should be covetous, strongly attracted by pleasures of the senses, malevolent in thought, of corrupt mind and purpose, of confused recollection, inattentive and not contemplative, scatter-brained, his sense-faculties uncontrolled, then he is far from me and I am far from him.'

'Monks, if the monk should be staying even a hundred miles away, yet he is not covetous, not strongly attracted by the pleasures of the senses, not malevolent in thought, not of corrupt mind and purpose, his collection firmly set, attentive, contemplative, his thoughts be one-pointed, restrained in his sense-faculties, then he is near me and I am near him.'
(Samyutta Nikaya)
Here
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
appicchato wrote:The Path lies between our ears, not in a temple... :candle:
:thumbsup:

I don't recall seeing Right Temple on the Noble Eightfold Path.

:lol:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Venerable and Retro,

Admirable friendship is vital to practitioners on the Path, not just Bhikkhus
Upaddha sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

With metta,
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Cooran,

I don't disagree with you at all. I just don't see that the two perspectives are in any way in opposition....

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Retro,

Sorry - I misunderstood. :embarassed:

With metta,
Chris
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Cooran,

No problemo - I like when kalyana-mittas talk of the value of kalyana-mittas.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Kare

Post by Kare »

appicchato wrote:The Path lies between our ears, not in a temple... :candle:
Or maybe one could say that the Path lies between your temples, not in a temple? :D
Mettāya,
Kåre