I was surprised to read the below.
Is it true that Ananda had to face these charges?http://www.purifymind.com/BuddhistCouncils.htm
Charges against Ananda:
There was considerable agitation over the admission of Ananda to the Council because of Ananda's failure to reach the stage of Arahant, which he actually did attain on the eve of the Council. However, because of the conventional belief that the level of Arahant clears one of all guilt, and because of the late development of Ananda's attainment, he was still questioned by his peers on several charges as follows:
1. He could not formulate the lesser and minor precepts as he was overwhelmed with grief over the demise of the Master.
2. He had to tread upon the robe of the Master while sewing it as there was no one to help him.
3. He permitted women to salute the body of the Master first because he did not want to detain them.
4. He was under the influence of Mara (the Evil One) when he forgot to request the Master to remain for a kalpa when the Buddha announced the approach of his demise.
5. He called for the admission of women into the Order out of consideration for Mahaprajapati Gotami who nursed the Master in his infancy.
The Charges are differently framed in other accounts. The replies given may be taken to have satisfied the Assembly.