YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

sunyata - Dhamma Wheel

sunyata

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
kindergarden

sunyata

Postby kindergarden » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:35 pm

:soap:

IMO, Sunyata should not be translated as "empty." First, it makes us sound like Nihilists, for example, in the Heart Sutra. Secondly, it misleads the new practitioner away from the truer meaning. "It refers to the fact that no thing, including human existence, has ultimate substantiality, which, in turn, means that no thing is permanent and no thing is totally independent of everything else. In other words, everything in this world is interconnected and in constant flux. A deep appreciation of this idea of emptiness thus save us from the suffering caused by our egos, our attachments and our resistance to change and loss"...and gain. What word to use if only one word is to be used" How about sunyata?

I do not recall my source for the quote about the meaning of sunyata but it came with my copy of the Heart Sutra.

metta

Aloka

Re: sunyata

Postby Aloka » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:51 pm

kindergarden

Postby kindergarden » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:12 pm

I did not know that the Heart Sutra was not a Theravada text. We chant it in Rinzai. I travel in many Buddhist circles, however. I thank you for the excellent sutra you posted. Still, is there word "sunyata" or it's equivalent used in Theravada texts and is it translated as "empty?" I am suggesting that if a better English word cannot be found that we just stick to "sunyata." It is too important to be lost in translation any more than words can truly mean anything.

:alien:

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm

This might be of interest:

http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/s_t/sunna.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

kindergarden

Postby kindergarden » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Thank you, Chris. "Void" seems to have a better ring to it (Neither the spell checker not I know how to spell "nuance" it seems). However, I don't think it is adequate. You may think this trivial but I am thinking of the Western seeker, of whom, I was once. Sometimes, skillful means builds on existing words in a language. Other times, it must start from scratch. No?

kindergarden

Postby kindergarden » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Thank you, Chris. "Void" seems to have a better ring to it (Neither the spell checker not I know how to spell "nuance" it seems). However, I don't think it is adequate. You may think this trivial but I am thinking of the Western seeker, of whom, I was once. Sometimes, skillful means builds on existing words in a language. Other times, it must start from scratch. No?

mOrlOck suggested this translation, although, it doesn't fit into a sentence very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQm3ndwteVs :sage:

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:47 am

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:01 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”