Sammasambuddha, Paccekabuddha, Arhat

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tom

Sammasambuddha, Paccekabuddha, Arhat

Post by Tom »

I am undecided as to whether or not I should follow a path to Sammasambuddhahood or Paccekabuddhahood or Arhatship because I'm not sure which choice would benefit the most number of beings. Is this information at all found within the Tipitaka?
cooran

Re: Sammasambuddha, Paccekabuddha, Arhat

Post by cooran »

Hello ccharles,

This might be of interest:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ttvas.html

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
kc2dpt_deactivated

Post by kc2dpt_deactivated »

ccharles, what is the difference between those paths?
I'm not asking about the goals of the paths.
I'm asking about the paths themselves.
How will your day to day practice differ on one path vs another?
arijitmitter

Post by arijitmitter »

ccharles wrote:I am undecided as to whether or not I should follow a path to Sammasambuddhahood or Paccekabuddhahood or Arhatship because I'm not sure which choice would benefit the most number of beings. Is this information at all found within the Tipitaka?
Uh can you say I want to be Samasambuddha !! :thinking: :thinking:

Or even say I want to be an Arahant !! Or even say I want to be a Sotapanna !! :? :?

Is this a serious question ?

You do realize this is like a man walking into the Vatican and asking what do I have to do for me to be considered second coming of Christ. :rofl:
Tom

Post by Tom »

arijitmitter wrote:
ccharles wrote:I am undecided as to whether or not I should follow a path to Sammasambuddhahood or Paccekabuddhahood or Arhatship because I'm not sure which choice would benefit the most number of beings. Is this information at all found within the Tipitaka?
Uh can you say I want to be Samasambuddha !! :thinking: :thinking:

Or even say I want to be an Arahant !! Or even say I want to be a Sotapanna !! :? :?
arijitmitter wrote:You do realize this is like a man walking into the Vatican and asking what do I have to do for me to be considered second coming of Christ. :rofl:
Not sure what you mean by all this.
arijitmitter wrote:Is this a serious question ?
Yes, I'd like to know if it is described anywhere in the Tipitaka if one of these choices benefits the most number of beings.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

ccharles wrote: Yes, I'd like to know if it is described anywhere in the Tipitaka if one of these choices benefits the most number of beings.
It's clear that a Buddha benefits the largest number:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#iti-084
The teacher, the great sage,
Is the first in the world;
Following him is the disciple
Whose composure is perfected;
And then the learner training on the path,
One who has learned much and is virtuous.
:anjali:
Mike
nibbuti

Post by nibbuti »

Hi ccharles

The way to benefit the most number of beings is to stop wanting to be anything at all.

:thanks:
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

It's already too late for paccekabuddhahood, since you're exposed to the idea of liberation from the Buddha's dispensation and are therefore stuck with arahants, as he taught, or bodhisattvas, as he didn't teach.

The choice seems forced: either strive for arahant-ization, or play someone else's games.

:anjali:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
kc2dpt_deactivated

Post by kc2dpt_deactivated »

ccharles wrote:I'm not sure which choice would benefit the most number of beings.
Sammasambuddhahood, Paccekabuddhahood, Arhatship, Tipitaka... It seems perhaps you do not know what these words mean. Where did you come across them?
arijitmitter

Post by arijitmitter »

ccharles wrote:
arijitmitter wrote:
ccharles wrote: Not sure what you mean by all this.
One cannot enter into Buddhism ( or any religion ) targeting a specific stage of spiritual development. You follow the Dhamma and the path of Dhamma takes you where you must go. It is said it took the Goutama Buddha 300,000 aeons and 4 great aeons to become Sammasambuddha. At least let us say it took him many births.

Can a Catholic begin life saying err what is it better to become .. a Saint, Angel, Arch Angel. He lives his life as Christ asked of him and rest follows.

I believe the next Sammasambuddha is Buddha Mettaya / Maitreya and I am sure none of us here are him.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Résumé

A Buddha’s path’s a lengthy lag,
Paccekabodhi’s a lonely drag;
Rōshis are stuck in ritualistic ruts,
And myōkōnin are gullible nuts.
The mahāsiddha is a noisome corybant,
So you might as well settle for being an arahant.

(with apologies to Dorothy Parker)
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Thanks for leading me to the poems of Dorothy Parker, and giving me an early morning chuckle :smile: