The Heretic Sage interviews

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

The Heretic Sage interviews

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:Unfortunately, I do not have the link to this.
It's from the Heretic Sage interviews, which David is in the process of trying to get hosted on DhammaWiki.
Metta,
Retro. :)
The Heretic Sage interviews are now online, in what could be the only place to find them on their own and not within another book:

Heretic Sage, Part 1
Heretic Sage, Part 2
Heretic Sage, Part 3
Heretic Sage, Part 4
Heretic Sage, Part 5

The format and spacing and paragraph breaks still needs some work, but it is up for now and will hopefully have some time to edit the format soon.

Bhikkhu Nanananda's DW page
retrofuturist

Re: The Heretic Sage interviews

Post by retrofuturist »

:anjali:

Many thanks David.

If there's any way you can give me edit access, I'd be happy to contribute to some of the format tidying, removing excess spaces etc.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: If there's any way you can give me edit access, I'd be happy to contribute to some of the format tidying, removing excess spaces etc.
I'll have to figure out the access-allowed part. In the meantime it could be done this way:

go to the links (DW pages) and click on "View source" and then copy and paste to a word processing file, then make the corrections and email back to me either in an email or a Word Doc file.

When you click on "View Source" you will see what a mess it is in! Not sure why it transferred over in such a mess (different, incompatible formats I guess).
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you for making that available, David.
I am sure very many Buddhists around the world will benefit from your meritorious efforts.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings David,

Thanks. I'll have a go at parts 2 & 4.

I think ven. Appicchato may be keen to edit 1, 3, 5.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ben wrote:Thank you for making that available, David.
I am sure very many Buddhists around the world will benefit from your meritorious efforts.
Thanks Ben!
retrofuturist wrote: Thanks. I'll have a go at parts 2 & 4.
I think ven. Appicchato may be keen to edit 1, 3, 5.
Yes, Ven. Appicchato contacted me too in PM.

Forget what I said about "View Source" I think copying it from WYSIWYG is better; that way there will be less editing to do. If you paste to Word Doc you might lose a lot of the diacritics unless you have Pali fonts downloaded already to your computer. If that is the case (the diacritics don't paste), you could try Note Pad or another application.

Either way, hope it works and thanks!
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

:coffee:
Last edited by appicchato on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings David,

I've sent #4 (which was a bit of a mess before) via e-mail but I think #2 is OK as it is... perhaps you'd already updated this one?

I just used Microsoft Word and it seemed to handle the diacritics with no trouble.

Metta,
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think this sentence from part 2 needs fixing.

"He says that only the magic is not real; the magician’s appur­te­nances are."

Maybe it is ok with "real" being understood at the end?

chownah
rohana

Post by rohana »

These interviews have some really great stuff; though my one issue is with the interviewer's portrayal of Ven. Ñānānanda as being considered a 'heretic' - where I feel Bhikkhu Yōgānanda is looking for drama where there is none. As far as I know, Bhante Ñānānanda is thought of very highly by almost everyone who's familiar with him. If there's a reason he's not as well known as some other monks in Sri Lanka (i.e. outside the circles of more 'serious' Buddhists) it's due to the limited circulation of his books rather than him being considered a heretic.
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

All five parts have been edited with most unnecessary spaces removed; thanks to:

Ven. Appicchato and Retro!!

:toast:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

That's great David,

Perhaps when you have time you can put links from your e-books page and your nanananda page.

:anjali:
Mike
avii

Post by avii »

From the The Heretic Sage, Part 1:
There are many words that share the ñā root in the texts: sañjānāti, vijānāti, pajānāti, abhijānāti, parijānāti, ājānāti . There may be more. It is with reason that there are these differences between them. It is commonly known that the root ñā stands for ‘knowledge’.

As in Ñā(nananda) from Ven. Bhikkhu K. Ñānanandas name.

Thank you David for making the interviews public.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mikenz66 wrote: Perhaps when you have time you can put links from your e-books page and your nanananda page.
Hi Mike,

Good idea! That is done.