Uposatha Questions

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

Uposatha Questions

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm considering observing Uposatha days in an effort to improve my practice, however I have some questions.

1. I'm a college student, and if the Uposatha day falls on a weekday, I'll be going to classes which involves sitting in chairs. Is this a breach of the 8th precept?

2. Do the clothes you wear matter? Typically I just wear something along the lines of khakis, with a flannel or sweater depending on the weather, and while I meditate or lounge about the house I wear a dashiki with thai fisherman pants for comfort. Would these be acceptable to wear on an Uposatha day?

3. I use soap and deodorant every day, and shampoo every other day, and occasionally put something in my hair so as to stop it from turning into an afro. Which of these (or all) break the 7th precept?

4. I live with three other people who all listen to music and watch tv and the like. If I'm around while they do these things, is that a breaching of the 7th precept?

5. Is reading Sutta, listening to Dhamma talks, or reading other Dhamma related things (ie this site) a breaching of the 7th precept?

6. How important are chanting, prostrations, and formally taking refuge on this day (and every day for that matter)?

7. For the 8th precept, do I sleep on the floor the night before, the night of, or both?

8. I've seen people talk about eating certain things after midday, what is this about?

9. While at school there aren't any Wat's nearby for me to go to. What should I do about this?

:namaste:
User avatar
PsychedelicSunSet
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby appicchato » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:06 am

Hi there...

1-5...no...(3...none)...

6...if it helps your practice, fine...if not, not so much...

7...no...

8...keep it simple, make lunch the last meal that day...

9...nothing...meditate, contemplate, read, etc. wherever you find yourself...

Be good...
User avatar
appicchato
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Bridge on the River Kwae

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 am

Appicchato,

Thank you for replying.

In regards to my 7th questions, an answer of no doesn't really make sense to me as I posed 3 options. If you could clarify it would be much appreciated.


:namaste:
User avatar
PsychedelicSunSet
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby faraway » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:44 am

1. No, I believe 8th precept talks about lying on high or luxurious bed.

2. No, unless you feel it will leads to tendency of breaking the precepts. Maybe just wear simple casual dress, not somekind of sexual arousing dress.

3. What are your intention to use that stuffs? If that's only for cleanliness or medical problem, that's fine.

4. No, I believe, since that's not your will. But the ideal is to avoid that situation since usually at Uposatha day, the observer will spend a day of meditating or learning dhamma. But if you can't afford it, then it's okay. Just be aware of your mind.

5. No.

6. Depends on you.

7. There is no mention about this in sutta, so it's up to you. I always do both.

8. That's the 6th precept:

6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).


Forbidden time = from noon to next sunrise.

So eating any solid food after noon will break the precept. Drinking is allowed for all of times.

In Uposatha sutta, you might found more detail passage that saying:

As long as life lasts, the noble ones abide on one meal per day abstaining from food at night and untimely hours. This night and day I too will abide on one meal abstaining from food at night and untimely hours. In this I will imitate the noble ones, observe the full moon and be endowed with this sixth factor.


Usually I eat my lunch one hour before solar noon (about eleven o'clock in my place).

Some monasteries or retreats provide breakfast too.

9. That's fine. Just observe the precepts.

:anjali:
Last edited by faraway on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
faraway
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby appicchato » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 am

PsychedelicSunSet wrote:Appicchato,

Thank you for replying.

In regards to my 7th questions, an answer of no doesn't really make sense to me as I posed 3 options. If you could clarify it would be much appreciated.


:namaste:


This is not a make it or break it type of deal...do what you feel like, or sleep in your bed...it's really got nothing to do with the Path...which, to keep it simple while encompassing it (for the most part) in it's entirety, is to cultivate the skillful, abstain from the unskillful, and purifying one's mind...

Sleeping on the floor (both nights) sure wouldn't hurt...might help put your mind in a good space...(I could more or less count the times I've slept in a bed in the last thirty years on one hand...even in hotels, anywhere, I'm on the deck)...you might like it... :smile:
User avatar
appicchato
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Bridge on the River Kwae

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Faraway,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm interning at a company where high end microphones are made. There is a good chance that I'll be required to listen to music, and analyze it as a part of my duties. Should I request I be put on duties where I will spend my time building equipment as opposed to testing it? Or should I just refrain from enjoying the music/observe my mind as I listen?



Appicchato,

I've suffered from insomnia for as long as I can remember and sleep equally as poorly everywhere, so I do enjoy sleeping on a bed as much as the floor. :D


Thank you both for your replies. I look forward to adhering to the rules on the next Uposatha day. (This Friday, October 4th.)
User avatar
PsychedelicSunSet
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby faraway » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:35 am

PsychedelicSunSet wrote:Faraway,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm interning at a company where high end microphones are made. There is a good chance that I'll be required to listen to music, and analyze it as a part of my duties. Should I request I be put on duties where I will spend my time building equipment as opposed to testing it? Or should I just refrain from enjoying the music/observe my mind as I listen?

If you can avoid it, then avoid it. If not, just deal with it with mind awareness. When you listen to the music, try to be aware of your mind and body. Observe the nature of Anicca, Dukkha, and Anatta from the auditory contact.

Do you work everyday? If not, it's better to observe uposatha at weekend like Saturday or Sunday (depends on your local).

:anjali:
faraway
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 pm

faraway wrote:
PsychedelicSunSet wrote:Faraway,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm interning at a company where high end microphones are made. There is a good chance that I'll be required to listen to music, and analyze it as a part of my duties. Should I request I be put on duties where I will spend my time building equipment as opposed to testing it? Or should I just refrain from enjoying the music/observe my mind as I listen?

If you can avoid it, then avoid it. If not, just deal with it with mind awareness. When you listen to the music, try to be aware of your mind and body. Observe the nature of Anicca, Dukkha, and Anatta from the auditory contact.

Do you work everyday? If not, it's better to observe uposatha at weekend like Saturday or Sunday (depends on your local).

:anjali:



I only work Tuesdays and Fridays. At all other times I'm in class or doing school work. I will take your advice into consideration. Thank you.


:namaste:
User avatar
PsychedelicSunSet
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Uposatha Questions

Postby greenjuice » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 am

This Q&A about Uposatha observance is quite comprehensive: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ha.html#qa
User avatar
greenjuice
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 pm


Return to Ethical Conduct

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: puppha and 2 guests