Change to DW Terms of Service

Includes our Terms Of Service (please read first)

Change to DW Terms of Service

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:37 am

Dear all

A minor, but important, change to the terms of service:

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice. This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums and this includes no active links to sites that permit gossip and negative views towards other Buddhist forums, trolling, meta-discussion (i.e. discussion about discussion), unsubstantiated allegations against members, solicitation of funds, proselytizing, and the advocating or promotion of illegal activity.


The change was due to a number of people coming to Dhamma Wheel in recent times advocating the use of illicit 'recreational' drugs. The clause gives us the administrative justification to remove threads promoting drug consumption as well as other illegal activities.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16050
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Change to DW Terms of Service

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 am

Hi Ben and Mods,
May I suggest changing the wording in this part
This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums and this includes no active links to sites that permit gossip and negative views towards other Buddhist forums

I found it quite hard to read and understand what was meant, as it seams to jump back on, and negate itself in the underlined part.
maybe change to
"or linking to active discussions..."
or
"e.g. linking to active discussions"

Kind Regards
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5740
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Change to DW Terms of Service

Postby Reductor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:20 am

Ben wrote:Dear all

A minor, but important, change to the terms of service:

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice. This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums and this includes no active links to sites that permit gossip and negative views towards other Buddhist forums, trolling, meta-discussion (i.e. discussion about discussion), unsubstantiated allegations against members, solicitation of funds, proselytizing, and the advocating or promotion of illegal activity.


The change was due to a number of people coming to Dhamma Wheel in recent times advocating the use of illicit 'recreational' drugs. The clause gives us the administrative justification to remove threads promoting drug consumption as well as other illegal activities.
kind regards,

Ben


What country's legal code will be upheld as correct?
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

User avatar
Reductor
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:52 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Change to DW Terms of Service

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am

Cittasanto:
Thanks, we will look at the wording of that clause.

Reductor:
US Law.
Again, we may tweak the wording.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16050
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Change to DW Terms of Service

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Ben wrote:... and the advocating or promotion of illegal activity.


The change was due to a number of people coming to Dhamma Wheel in recent times advocating the use of illicit 'recreational' drugs. The clause gives us the administrative justification to remove threads promoting drug consumption as well as other illegal activities.
kind regards,

Ben[/quote]
Hi, Ben,
I'm in favour of a change in this direction but I'm not so sure that using the law as a pretext for removing such material is sending the right message. Could you say, "DW policy is to discourage use of drugs, legal or not, as violations of the fifth precept," OWTTE?

:namaste:
Kim
User avatar
Kim OHara
 
Posts: 3044
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Change to DW Terms of Service

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Ben wrote:Cittasanto:
Thanks, we will look at the wording of that clause.

Reductor:
US Law.
Again, we may tweak the wording.
kind regards,

Ben


Oh, no!! Ben is "the man". Just kidding. Thanks for keeping the forum clean and I applaud your efforts.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 am
Location: California USA

Re: Change to DW Terms of Service

Postby Coyote » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Ben wrote:... and the advocating or promotion of illegal activity.


The change was due to a number of people coming to Dhamma Wheel in recent times advocating the use of illicit 'recreational' drugs. The clause gives us the administrative justification to remove threads promoting drug consumption as well as other illegal activities.
kind regards,

Ben

Hi, Ben,
I'm in favour of a change in this direction but I'm not so sure that using the law as a pretext for removing such material is sending the right message. Could you say, "DW policy is to discourage use of drugs, legal or not, as violations of the fifth precept," OWTTE?

:namaste:
Kim[/quote]

I agree that 5th precept would be better, but I think it is important that people get the message that it is not OK to advocate illegal (and immoral) activity on a Buddhist forum.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 pm
Location: Wales - UK


Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests