the best yardstick of our development

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sanjay PS

the best yardstick of our development

Post by Sanjay PS »

Have been thinking about the violence and strife happening in Myanmar for some time. Its such a shame........

Violence is the first thing that sheds away when the attachment of a "belonging" , gradually ceases to trouble us.

I remember once when i had found my wife with a dissolved state of body and mind , i used the opportunity in narrating to her an incident which Lord Buddha had recounted to the Sangha when there were niggardly infighting within the Sangha. I could not help but breaking down when sharing the profoundness of Dhamma.

" There was once a very righteous king who ruled a small province , keeping his subjects in good stead . A neighboring avaricious king , wanting to extend his kingdom further and further , planned on invading the province . The spies of the righteous king learnt about the impending attack and informed the king about the would be invasion . The wise king knowing that his army would be no match to this invasion , and any resistance would only lead to a blood bath to his army and civilians , decided to leave his kingdom and lead a life of obscurity in a village yonder .

The righteous king and queen lived a life as poor peasants ,and in time had a son born to them . The years went by and old age came on to the couple , with their son becoming an able bodied handsome young man. In the meantime, the spies of the avaricious king learnt of their hiding , and reported it to the king . Soldiers were sent to the hut of the old couple , who bound them in chains and brought them in front of the cruel king . It was decided by this cruel king to have the couple marched across naked in the four directions of the kingdom , flogging them unto death , after which their bodies were to be torn apart , and flung away for the vultures to feast .

The son in the meantime returned to the hut , and seeing the disarray , knew that something had happened . With a beating heart he went in search, and soon came across a procession that saw him seeing his parents beyond belief . The moment his Father saw him, with pleading eyes did he reach out to his son, in not recognizing them , and sang out a poem melodious in its harmony of clarity. Hatred never gets appeased with hatred, and the milk of kindness would make even the most vile tasting poison turn to a nectar of good will. The soldiers thinking that the old man had gone mad , lashed on further , which made the son push in through , in turn panicking his Father, who sang the poem louder and louder . When at last , they were undone of their final breath, and the chunks of their flesh strewn apart , the young man with hate in his heart , promised to give it back and more ......

The young man got himself a job as a working hand in the kings elephant stables , and sang his way through, while tending to the elephants and horses . The notes of melody reached on to the kings ears , curious , he went to see its source , leaving him impressed with the persona of the stable hand. Soon , the young man gained the favor of the king , and a bond of strength and implicit trust was built as the years passed by . On a hunting expedition with thundering horses they went , with the young man leading on a chariot , the king sheltered by its regal umbrella . Soon seizing the opportunity , the young man slowly branched away the chariot , deep into the forest , finally appearing to be confused and lost . The king was by then tired , with his limbs aching he asked to be rested. The young man gladly let the horses rest , and the king laid his head on the young man's lap , weary and tired . Unsheathing the sword , and with bottled up fury , came the memories flooding back, thrice did he lift the sword , and thrice did his Father's poem stir his heart , by then the king woke with a jolt , stunned, asked the cause of it all . The king flung himself on the feet of the young man and cried for pardon ......it was his Fathers poem that he recited then, who was he to keep a grudge in his heart ..............

The Kingdom flourished and the young man went on to become a just and virtuous King of the Empire ."
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
cooran

Re: the best yardstick of our development

Post by cooran »

Hello Sanjay,

Please state a reference for where this story appeared in the Tipitaka, or give a link we can follow.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

cooran wrote:Hello Sanjay,

Please state a reference for where this story appeared in the Tipitaka, or give a link we can follow.

With metta,
Chris
Hello Chris,

This is recalled from memory , of which i had read during one of my 10 day service retreats at the Chennai centre , India. It was deeply moving..........

Whenever next i am at the centre , i will hunt for the particular book, and look for the chapter which mentions this, giving you the full details of the journal and its photocopy.

sanjay
Last edited by Sanjay PS on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The story referred to is the Kosambiya Jātaka which the Buddha related to the monks involved in the dispute at Kosambhī. The full story is told in the Vinaya.(Vin.i.342ff)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thank you, Bhante!

With metta and respect,
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The story referred to is the Kosambiya Jātaka which the Buddha related to the monks involved in the dispute at Kosambhī. The full story is told in the Vinaya.(Vin.i.342ff)
i am grateful Sir, for providing the clarity .

in much inspiration to the Triple Gem.

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

U S.N. Goenka
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

The king's advice is given in the Kosambiya Jātaka (#428) and carried out by the son in the Dīghītikosala Jātaka (# 371).

Whoops, I didn't see that Ven. Pesala had already replied.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Ajahn,

Thank you for your response - I have a set of the Jatakas I bought some years ago in Sri Lanka and look forward to reading number 371.

With metta and respect,
Chris