YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Why Theravada? - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

Why Theravada?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
daverupa

Re: Why Theravada?

Postby daverupa » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:06 pm

_/|\_

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Last edited by daverupa on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 pm

OK, Dave, I don't see a constructive end to this debate and we are just going to bore the others. So I will bow out. If you are interested in pursuing this, please feel free to PM.
_/|\_

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:13 pm

- Peter

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:26 am

_/|\_

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:29 am

- Peter

rohana

Postby rohana » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:27 am

"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:55 am

_/|\_

Kusala

Postby Kusala » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 am

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:33 am

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:15 pm

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Thank you all - Kusala, Santa and Bhikkhu Pesala - for your responses.
All of you have directed me to the Discourse to Gotami amongst other texts. It's a perfectly good text, too, except that it doesn't help us decide "Why Theravada?", which is the basic question of the OP and the thread.
Why not? Well, as a text composed before schools differentiated, it naturally can't mention Theravada, Mahayana, etc. In fact, "The "authenticity" of the school is not the focus. It's the specific metrics on the results (which is measurable) that determines whether it's Dhamma or not Dhamma," as Santa said. Thanissaro said something very similar in the introduction to the texts Kusala pointed me to, and (fwiw) I agree entirely. The Buddha's guidance on this point is very pragmatic, as it so often is on others.
Here it could be modernised to, "If it works, it's good."
I think that's a great basis for moving forward in my practice - but it also justifies adopting any practice/s which "lead to dispassion, not to passion; to being unfettered, not to being fettered; to shedding, not to accumulating; to modesty, not to self-aggrandizement; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to entanglement; to aroused persistence, not to laziness; to being unburdensome, not to being burdensome," whether they come from the Pali suttas, the Mahayana, the MBSR folk or, for that matter, the Kabbala. Equally, it throws the responsibility of discerning the difference between Dhamma and non-Dhamma upon me, while encouraging me to go to the wise for advice - as I do, but I will still always exame it critically, as I have done in this thread. Then again, the Buddha told me too. :smile:
I have just used "I" and "me" for convenience but of course what applies to me applies to everyone.

:namaste:
Kim

MattB

Postby MattB » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:12 am

Hello All,
This is my first real post on here aside from a short introduction a couple months ago. In my little knowledge of the Buddhist world(and various schools), I find the Theravada to be the most straight forward, applicable, teaching of Buddhist ideas. To be fair, I don't know much of what the other schools offer aside from some basic articles. Lacking any sort of mysticism, fanatical ideas, strange beliefs(or beliefs at all), Theravada to me is a clear path to getting piece of mind in a crazy world. Just the basic 5 precepts alone have improved my sense of well-being and home life. Some other beautiful aspects of the teachings to me are that one doesn't need to study under someone else and how you don't need to "convert" to anything from anything! I enjoy testing the teachings in my everyday situations and allowing them to prove themselves to me.
Anyway just some observations from a novice. I wish all find there own path to happiness and peace with ease.
Metta,
Matt

dagon

Postby dagon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:02 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:17 am

It seems to me if you had a whole lot of faith and belief in one's own tradition, you wouldn't feel half the need to criticize other peoples traditions. It seems hyper criticalness of other traditions can stem from weakness in ones own beliefs.

What a lot of people don't realize is until now these traditions were largely country dependent, there was no mahayana in Thailand and there was no therevada in Tibet, for instance, so were not only criticizing approaches to buddhism, but whole countries and regions history. Better to talk good about one's own tradition than bad about someone else's tradition, that's my opinion....
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:47 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:56 am

As in what percent??? probably mostly Chinese immigrants, Vietnam is more Mahayana due to Chinese influence
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:14 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”