Looking for answers!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
wanttolearn0489

Looking for answers!

Post by wanttolearn0489 »

First let me say sorry if this is the wrong place to look for these answers but ive tried a few other forums and this one seems like it has an active amount of people. If you know of a better place to get my answers please let me know and i will delete this post.

Ill start off introducing my self, i'am josh and i want to find spiritual enlightenment. I really want to find a purpose more or less and ive thought long and hard and this is what i think i wanna do. I would like to spend some time at a temple,monestary place of worship etc. I am interested on how to do this. I have gone the college route i found this wasnt for me. Ive been working and i feel like something is missing and this feeling just keeps continuing to grow inside me, and i would like to spend time around other like minded individuals. I dont think this is going to happen over night as much as id like it too, there are still alot of things i need to know such as if its even possible.

I started thinking about this two years ago give or take but ive recently been getting really into religon and medition and other things. I need a change in my life, so how do i go about finding a monastery or temple to live at and learn. Im ready to devote my life. so what am i going to need will i need money or is a willingness to learn and help out enough? would i be able to find such monastery in the united states? better yet would i be able to find one in my state of residence? Im not trying to find a free ride, im willing to work and help out as much as i need to a week. Is there a general set of rules for all temples or does it vary from place? Would it be possible to barter my stay in exchange for my life skills.
I read in another post of someone doing things like this The barter I ended up offering the monastery is this:

Complete a three-month strategic social media plan (that I drafted) focusing on Facebook and the lama’s blog.
Assist the monastery with selling some antiques online as a fundraiser.
Spend one evening per week helping in the monastery garden.
Contribute $50/month toward utilities.

Is this article accurate is this how things actually work? Or should i be saving up more money for this journey through life? I also have other skills like the person in the article (ill post it at the end) I can use the computer, i am also very good at cooking are these things they look for when taking in students.

How do i go about finding a place that allows things like this? I have so many questions and i just wanna start getting answers so i can start to prepare for this. im dead set on doing this and i will find a way but it would be great if i had some help getting answers i have been searching the web but things are to vague.

http://roguepriest.net/2011/04/21/how-to-live-for-free/ there is the Article i know the link might seem like im trying to find a place to live for free but i already have a nice happy home life its just not for me and like i said something feels like its missing. also apologize in advance for any grammar errors.

:reading:
Ben

Re: Looking for answers!

Post by Ben »

Maybe you should "try before you buy".
Attend some residential retreats in various traditions, live a life of a Buddhist lay-person for a couple of years and if you are still keen on ordaining, you can contact some monasteries.
My own tradition offers 10-day meditation retreats on a dana (donation) basis.
www.dhamma.org
www.buddhanet.net has a great worldwide directory of Buddhist centres and monasteries and you should utilise it to make contact with places close to home.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
wanttolearn0489

im stuck in the middle of nowhere so its either jump in the pool or continue to stay on the sideline im tired of doing this on my own! im making progress but how far can one make it on there own. i need some change in my life
Ben

Post by Ben »

wanttolearn0489 wrote:im stuck in the middle of nowhere so its either jump in the pool or continue to stay on the sideline im tired of doing this on my own! im making progress but how far can one make it on there own. i need some change in my life
Change is occurring all the time. With the right instruction, you can see this for yourself. Every particle of your body and your mind is in a constant state of flux. Observign this reality with equanimity one develops real insight into the nature of mind and matter and frees oneself from negative habits, behaviours and thinking patterns.
The fact of the matter is - we are all, ultimately, on our own. The place where real spiritual progress and maturity occurs - is in the hard slog of practicing in 'daily life'. Silent retreats which are secluded from the madding crowd are great to learn and develop some depth of practice, but it is in the application of the Dhamma in our day-to-day lives is where the real spiritual journey takes place.
Wishing you all the best.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
wanttolearn0489

your words seem wise i will take them to heart and i appreciate all help thank you!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:meditate:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Welcome. :smile:

Well, there is a way between wordly lay life and ordained life. You can become an anagarika .
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
reflection

Post by reflection »

Hi!

First off all I want to say I recognize your feeling. Luckily, many Buddhist centers and monasteries that can take you up from anywhere ranging from a day till possibly your entire life. There are many in the US, also. If you are in a point of your life where you are able to visit one for a considerable time, I would really encourage you to do so. Don't rush it, however. For example, I wouldn't start by planning to go somewhere forever. People who rush in with those sorts of ideas often quickly run back home again.

So my advice is to perhaps find a local group, get some connections. Then plan a retreat or some, like a week or so. Just to see if this is really what you want and to get familiar with it. Via via you will find some places and monasteries and you will also learn what fits you best.

The bartering thing isn't really needed. People like it if you have something to offer, but in my experience they don't ask for such a 'contract'. Instead just ask places if there is a possibility for a visit and for how long. Sometimes they will ask for money to fund the retreats and whatnot, sometimes not. Most important thing is you find a place where you find yourself fitting in.

Myself I've been visiting groups and monasteries for years and soon I am going off with the intention to ordain as a monk. Not in the US though, I'm from Europe so I can't really help location wise.

Edit: I saw the article wrote an entire how-to guide and stuff. A bit over the top if you ask me. And certainly the thing about a non-buddhist having to offer more to come into a Buddhist monastery is silly. ;) There is no definition of a Buddhist anyway.

But how it went for me for a long retreat: I contacted a monastery I went on a retreat before. Asked via email if I could stay as I knew they needed some general help in the winter retreat time. They allowed me to come over even though they already found other people to help out. That was it, really. They knew me already, so that helped.

Another place I sent an email to stay for a longer time. They said it was full. But some time later I got an email saying I was able to come by because somebody dropped out. (By that time I had planned other things though)

Sorter retreats usually aren't that big of a problem because many places organize them themselves and you can just subscribe.

Wish you the best!
Reflection
Last edited by reflection on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Welcome. :)

KEvin