Buddhist monk gets 15 years for sexual assault

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Benjamin

Re: Buddhist monk gets 15 years for sexual assault

Post by Benjamin »

chownah wrote:
You have to understand (actually you don't have to) that in Thai culture the temple is a civic centre as well as a religious center. In my village just about all community get togethers happen at the temple grounds which means that although some westerners might think that some of what goes on is inappropriate it should also be realized that it does tend to keep some activities from getting too far out of hand which is a blessing for the community.
chownah

That makes a lot of sense, for Thai culture anyway. I'd hesitate to say the same about Buddhist temples in the United States, though. Maybe some Christian Churches that hold a lot of community activities would be the closest parallel over here.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

We have Cambodian men and women dancing at the local temple on holidays, they even call them parties, but the clothing is certainly quite conservative by western standards(or lack thereof) hardly on ankle or cleavage in sight, so you may be getting the wrong idea, plenty of really flashy complicated printed dresses and tops(traditional) if that gets your juices flowing, OK better off not to go there.....
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
  • ex-Buddhist monk gets 15 years for sexual assault
Ex-Buddhist monk gets 15 years for sexual assault committed while still a monk and convicted after he was disrobed by Buddhist authorities?
chownah
The man ceased being a bhikkhu once the sex act was initiated. The rest is naught more than formality.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
chownah

Post by chownah »

Benjamin wrote:
chownah wrote:
You have to understand (actually you don't have to) that in Thai culture the temple is a civic centre as well as a religious center. In my village just about all community get togethers happen at the temple grounds which means that although some westerners might think that some of what goes on is inappropriate it should also be realized that it does tend to keep some activities from getting too far out of hand which is a blessing for the community.
chownah

That makes a lot of sense, for Thai culture anyway. I'd hesitate to say the same about Buddhist temples in the United States, though. Maybe some Christian Churches that hold a lot of community activities would be the closest parallel over here.
I think that the temple on question is a Thai style temple in the US and probably serves the same function as a civic center for the local Thai expats so they are just doing the same stuff as what happens in Thailand.....which is what they want.....it is a hardship for most Thai people to be away from Thailand and Thai culture I think.
chownah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

chownah wrote: I think that the temple on question is a Thai style temple in the US and probably serves the same function as a civic center for the local Thai expats so they are just doing the same stuff as what happens in Thailand.....which is what they want.....it is a hardship for most Thai people to be away from Thailand and Thai culture I think.
chownah
This is true, I think. Our local Thai Wat (in New Zealand) certainly serves as a social centre (as well as serving important Dhamma purposes). There are Thai language and culture (music, dancing, etc) lessons for children and a few big gatherings each year. Songkran and Katina (which is usually coupled with Loy Kratong) are the biggest, with Thai musical performances ranging from traditional to modern. Occasionally I've been roped into judging the Miss Songkran...

:anjali:
Mike