Initiation of foreigners?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Initiation of foreigners?

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:04 am

Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner? I was thinking of going to Thailand, but the job prospects there are extremely limited to foreigners. I would be happy if I could do some chores to earn my keep and spend my extra time learning and practicing. Is there a place like that anywhere?
teknix

Re: Initiation of foreigners?

Postby Ben » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:03 am

Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
http://www.dhamma.org
kind regards,

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 pm

teknix wrote:Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner?

Why not ordain?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Ben wrote:Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
kind regards,

Ben

Thank you for this valuable information!

kc2dpt wrote:
teknix wrote:Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner?

Why not ordain?

How do you mean?
teknix

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:30 pm

teknix wrote:
kc2dpt wrote:

Why not ordain?

How do you mean?

I mean, why not become a monk? Then you can practice mostly unimpeded and have your living expenses covered by the monastery.
- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Ben wrote:Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
kind regards,

Ben

How do you qualify as old student?
teknix

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:42 pm

kc2dpt wrote:I mean, why not become a monk? Then you can practice mostly unimpeded and have your living expenses covered by the monastery.

I guess I don't know if I would qualify to be a Monk, and I wouldn't know where to go to be a monk if I did qualify.

Also my practices have revolved around mostly internal alchemy of the Taoist and Kundalini sort. (Even though they seem very similar, I do notice some differences.)
teknix

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:03 pm

teknix wrote:my practices have revolved around mostly internal alchemy of the Taoist and Kundalini sort.

I'm confused. Why are you asking this question in a Theravada Buddhist forum?
- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby teknix » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:29 am

I'm asking here because It's all pretty much the same to me, I am not affiliated with any organization, so one place to meditate would be as good as the next. I'm not biased or particular and I would like to learn more about Buddhism as well.

I don't follow the "beliefs" of any of the practices, I seek the truth in all of them.

Considering Theravada Buddhism has truth then that's what I'm seeking and here for.

Do you think I should conform to only one specific practice?
teknix

Return to General Theravāda discussion