Shut-down

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Shut-down

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:45 am

Greetings,

chownah wrote:So, why do all of you fear the possibility of a depression?

Speaking from a personal (non-American) perspective, my concerns around a depression isn't the reduction in GDP for 2+ years (because we probably already generate too much "stuff" as a society) but about the impact of rising unemployment to the individuals and families impacted by loss of the primary family income, and the social ills such as crime, drug dependency and mental health issues that can arise from a high structural unemployment rate, which can lead many people to become "unemployable".

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

chownah wrote:So, why do all of you fear the possibility of a depression?

Speaking from a personal (non-American) perspective, my concerns around a depression isn't the reduction in GDP for 2+ years (because we probably already generate too much "stuff" as a society) but about the impact of rising unemployment to the individuals and families impacted by loss of the primary family income, and the social ills such as crime, drug dependency and mental health issues that can arise from a high structural unemployment rate, which can lead many people to become "unemployable".

Metta,
Retro. :)
That is pretty much it.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby chownah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 am

I guess, then, that neither of you fear a depression but you are concerned about a crime rate getting bigger, about the amount of drugs being taken rising etc. Dukkha. Anyone who has been living and working in amerika for long would have saved up a bundle of money unless they had greedily spent it on indulgements.....crime and violence are certainly a concern and I try to help people avoid these things when I can. I think though realistically that the big fear in most amerikans' minds is that there will be less money to spend and luxuries will disappear......no new tv, computer, car,clothes, hairdo, nail polish etc...........basically that the objects of clinging will not be available in adequate quality or quantity.
chownah
chownah

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:24 am

chownah wrote:I guess, then, that neither of you fear a depression but you are concerned about a crime rate getting bigger, about the amount of drugs being taken rising etc. Dukkha. Anyone who has been living and working in amerika for long would have saved up a bundle of money unless they had greedily spent it on indulgements.....crime and violence are certainly a concern and I try to help people avoid these things when I can. I think though realistically that the big fear in most amerikans' minds is that there will be less money to spend and luxuries will disappear......no new tv, computer, car,clothes, hairdo, nail polish etc...........basically that the objects of clinging will not be available in adequate quality or quantity.
chownah
A depression is to be feared for the potential increase in poverty and suffering, which is how I read retro msg. As for your -- I think though realistically that the big fear in most amerikans' minds is that there will be less money to spend and luxuries will disappear -- that bespeaks more about your prejudices (as does your cute "k") than the reality of what "most Americans fear." You simply do not know of what you speak.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:35 am

Given the rather ongoing negative tenor of this thread, it is being shutdown.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Previous

Return to Lounge