Rocking meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Rocking meditation

Postby Dr. Dukkha » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:17 am

I was born Jewish and in Judaism, when we pray, we rock forward and backward for really no reason besides that it feels natural and relaxing. Praying while rocking is considered the Jewish way of meditation.
When I meditate, I found it extremely relaxing to rock forward and backward gently.
Does it have any less benefit than absolute stillness? Will it hinder my quest for Nibbana?
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Dr. Dukkha

Re: Rocking meditation

Postby Kamran » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 am

I think if you like it, and you get good results then it sounds like a good meditation posture for you. The only thing I can think of is that you might have a little less concentration. Generally lying meditation has the strongest concentration, followed by sitting, and then walking. I am not sure where your "rocking meditation"fits on the concentration spectrum :)
When this concentration is thus developed, thus well developed by you, then wherever you go, you will go in comfort. Wherever you stand, you will stand in comfort. Wherever you sit, you will sit in comfort. Wherever you lie down, you will lie down in comfort.
Kamran

Re: Rocking meditation

Postby purple planet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:17 pm

In vipasana meditation that i do you note experiences and move on -

i had a short period where the body rocked automatically (might happen to you but might not ) - i read about this before experiencing it and it was written that its happening when you feel big joy or very calm - i didnt feel good or calm at that time lol it didnt feel special even - just the body rocked - and so i noted it and as all stuff it soon stopped and never returned

In meditation and i believe its in all meditation types vipasana and samatha -we try to get rid of craving - attachment to stuff - so if you want to rock cause it feels good that might be a hinder for niravana

But whats important is if it helps you meditate more and by that it might help you get rid of bigger cravings and desires then maybe its good to do it - im just giving you a different view point - for food for thought purpose
purple planet

Return to Theravada Meditation