cultivating concentration

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

cultivating concentration

Postby no mike » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:59 am

In Anapanasati.. Over time, I have had success with not following emotional feelings or emotional ideas during meditation, as well as noticing initial thoughts about the past or future, and I am experiencing more peace during meditation; however, I seem to be following daydreams and novel contemplation when I am trying to keep my mind on single-pointedness at the nostrils. It seems my mental talking sneaks into my mind and I have difficulty turning it off. In addition to anapanasati, are there any exercises I can do daily that help towards improving concentration? Will routine walking meditation help to develop single-pointedness, and quiet my mind?

thank you

:heart:
no mike

Re: cultivating concentration

Postby contemplating » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 pm

being mindful of the breath, and the mind itself throughout the day in whatever you happen to be doing will have direct implications in your meditation practice. I recommend listening to some of Thanissaro Bhikku's talks on the breath and mindfulness in general. Also Ajaan Lee has written some excellent material as well.

Go here: http://www.dhammatalks.org/mp3_index.html

press the control + F keys simultaneously..a search box will appear, then type in "breath"

There are around 90 talks covering the breath alone.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/
contemplating

Re: cultivating concentration

Postby no mike » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Thank you, I will follow these leads. I think I have to let go of too much abstract contemplation and let myself follow breath for longer durations during day to day activities.

:heart:
no mike

Return to Theravada Meditation