Hello! Looking for a mentor/guidance...

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
lkearns

Hello! Looking for a mentor/guidance...

Post by lkearns »

Hello,

My name is Luke, I am 18 year old living in Australia; I couldn't say to a point how long I have been practicing and studying various different aspects of buddhism, to a degree it has been present through much of my life, having been born in Singapore with a father who is in Asia for 2 out of 3 weeks since as long as I can recall. Only in the last year and a half have I started practicing seriously (meditating and reading texts for a few hours each day), my life has changed immeasurably since :)

I am in the process of looking for a teacher;
I have monks that I look up to, reading their essays and listening to their talks, but I find that invariably I will run in to technical difficulties when I try and converse with a Youtube video :computerproblem: :lol:

Due to school being particularly intense at the moment (beginning the HSC, New South Wales' ranking system for university entry) I don't have the time on my hands to balance visits to any Temples or centres regularly, so I thought I would ask here if there is anyone that would be willing to provide guidance to me/give me their opinion on queries I may have, online.

Thank you :)

:buddha2:
retrofuturist

Re: Hello! Looking for a mentor/guidance...

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings lkearns,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

I'm sure you'll find that if you pose a specific question in a topic here, or post a link to a video and ask specific questions about it etc. that people will generally respond to it in good faith. Dhamma Wheel has a lot of practitioners, each with a slightly different approach to their practice, so if you throw a question out there, you may get various shades of response in return. Some responses will resonate, some won't... either way, it should be a useful exercise for you and a good means for learning through the community.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Ask away, right here at DW. There are many well-read, knowledgeable members right here and we even have some members who are monks and nuns.
kmath

Post by kmath »

David N. Snyder wrote:Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Ask away, right here at DW. There are many well-read, knowledgeable members right here and we even have some members who are monks and nuns.

There was a question asked here:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18901
Ben

Post by Ben »

lkearns,

My tradition offers ten-day residential retreats in vipassana meditation on a pure dana basis.
There's a centre in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, two hours by rail west of Sydney:
http://www.bhumi.dhamma.org/

I recommend that you think about attending a course when your HSC is over - in about 4 to 6 weeks.
All the best with your studies.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Luke!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
lkearns

Post by lkearns »

Ben wrote:lkearns,

My tradition offers ten-day residential retreats in vipassana meditation on a pure dana basis.
There's a centre in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, two hours by rail west of Sydney:
http://www.bhumi.dhamma.org/

I recommend that you think about attending a course when your HSC is over - in about 4 to 6 weeks.
All the best with your studies.
kind regards,

Ben
Hi Ben,

I'll definitely look in to that, as I have spent my fair share of time living in the mountains over the past 5 years! 5-6 weeks would be nice, but I'm at the other end of the course! another year for me :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ok, so you're in Year 11. You are one year level under my son's.

If you are interested, VMC Dhamma Bhumi also run courses for teenagers. From memory it is a one day course and they'll teach you the samatha variation of anapana meditation which is useful in developing calm and developing concentration - not bad life skills that could help you with your studies as you approach crunch time in just over a year's time.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Luke :group:

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---