Hello! Looking for a mentor/guidance...

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hello! Looking for a mentor/guidance...

Postby lkearns » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 am

Hello,

My name is Luke, I am 18 year old living in Australia; I couldn't say to a point how long I have been practicing and studying various different aspects of buddhism, to a degree it has been present through much of my life, having been born in Singapore with a father who is in Asia for 2 out of 3 weeks since as long as I can recall. Only in the last year and a half have I started practicing seriously (meditating and reading texts for a few hours each day), my life has changed immeasurably since :)

I am in the process of looking for a teacher;
I have monks that I look up to, reading their essays and listening to their talks, but I find that invariably I will run in to technical difficulties when I try and converse with a Youtube video :computerproblem: :lol:

Due to school being particularly intense at the moment (beginning the HSC, New South Wales' ranking system for university entry) I don't have the time on my hands to balance visits to any Temples or centres regularly, so I thought I would ask here if there is anyone that would be willing to provide guidance to me/give me their opinion on queries I may have, online.

Thank you :)

:buddha2:
lkearns

Re: Hello! Looking for a mentor/guidance...

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:05 am

Greetings lkearns,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

I'm sure you'll find that if you pose a specific question in a topic here, or post a link to a video and ask specific questions about it etc. that people will generally respond to it in good faith. Dhamma Wheel has a lot of practitioners, each with a slightly different approach to their practice, so if you throw a question out there, you may get various shades of response in return. Some responses will resonate, some won't... either way, it should be a useful exercise for you and a good means for learning through the community.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 am

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Ask away, right here at DW. There are many well-read, knowledgeable members right here and we even have some members who are monks and nuns.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby kmath » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:33 am

David N. Snyder wrote:Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Ask away, right here at DW. There are many well-read, knowledgeable members right here and we even have some members who are monks and nuns.

There was a question asked here:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18901
kmath

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:09 am

lkearns,

My tradition offers ten-day residential retreats in vipassana meditation on a pure dana basis.
There's a centre in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, two hours by rail west of Sydney:
http://www.bhumi.dhamma.org/

I recommend that you think about attending a course when your HSC is over - in about 4 to 6 weeks.
All the best with your studies.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:28 am

Welcome Luke!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby lkearns » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:45 am

Ben wrote:lkearns,

My tradition offers ten-day residential retreats in vipassana meditation on a pure dana basis.
There's a centre in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, two hours by rail west of Sydney:
http://www.bhumi.dhamma.org/

I recommend that you think about attending a course when your HSC is over - in about 4 to 6 weeks.
All the best with your studies.
kind regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

I'll definitely look in to that, as I have spent my fair share of time living in the mountains over the past 5 years! 5-6 weeks would be nice, but I'm at the other end of the course! another year for me :)
lkearns

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:22 am

Ok, so you're in Year 11. You are one year level under my son's.

If you are interested, VMC Dhamma Bhumi also run courses for teenagers. From memory it is a one day course and they'll teach you the samatha variation of anapana meditation which is useful in developing calm and developing concentration - not bad life skills that could help you with your studies as you approach crunch time in just over a year's time.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Welcome Luke :group:

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to Introductions