hijacking threads

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
kc2dpt

Re: hijacking threads

Post by kc2dpt »

Ben wrote:However, sometimes, it might be a useful exercise to consider the free-for-all as a venue for members to refute adhamma and that which is not consistent with the Buddhist tradition. Its something to think about.
The same points could be discussed in the other forums if the participants have enough humility and respect.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Peter wrote:
Ben wrote:However, sometimes, it might be a useful exercise to consider the free-for-all as a venue for members to refute adhamma and that which is not consistent with the Buddhist tradition. Its something to think about.
The same points could be discussed in the other forums if the participants have enough humility and respect.
I couldn't agree more Peter. My motivation is when i engage in that forum is to try and refute an inconsistent or erroneous point of view for the benefit of those who may come along to seek clarification. But as I said earlier, I don't have the stomach for a lot of discussion that occurs in the free-for-all. sometimes its all I can do to go in that forum and moderate and ensure everyone's behaving themselves.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Ben wrote:
Peter wrote:
I couldn't agree more Peter. My motivation is when i engage in that forum is to try and refute an inconsistent or erroneous point of view for the benefit of those who may come along to seek clarification. But as I said earlier, I don't have the stomach for a lot of discussion that occurs in the free-for-all. sometimes its all I can do to go in that forum and moderate and ensure everyone's behaving themselves.
Kind regards

Ben
Having now got the lay of the land a little re Dhamma Wheel Forum I think it unlikely that I will be visiting the "Free For All " again. It seems there really may be people who roam Buddhist websites courting controversy. I find it astonishing.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sanghamitta

My advice to you is the same as my advice to Peter. So please feel free to contribute in that forum should you wish to do so.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Thanks Ben. I realise that any website needs a pressure cooker valve. Not my cup of tea though if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.... :smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

There seems to be a strong aversion to said forum, i find it strange as to why. After all it is a place where there can be a more open discussion, seems people are just averse to hearing opposite views to their own, sorry if that isnt true but thats what it seems like from reading some posts

Having now got the lay of the land a little re Dhamma Wheel Forum I think it unlikely that I will be visiting the "Free For All " again. It seems there really may be people who roam Buddhist websites courting controversy. I find it astonishing.

Or they just state what they feel is more in line with Buddhadhamma? who knows, perhaps there onto something :o or perhaps there not :( . Of course one can never know unless one reads said arguments

metta
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I am certainly not suggesting that anyone else should utilise Dhamma Wheel Forum in the same way that I do clw-uk. I just know that when I get involved in those kind of discussions its a lot to do with my ego making points and/or settling scores, and/or looking for social strokes or affirmation. So having discovered that I had inadvertantly wandered into that kind of setting I looked for the door. Others can no doubt involve themselves in a less egotistical way. But I know that I cant.

Bhikku Bodhi.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

clw_uk wrote: Or they just state what they feel is more in line with Buddhadhamma? who knows, perhaps there onto something :o or perhaps there not :( . Of course one can never know unless one reads said arguments
Perhaps I can expand on this point. Of course it is important to have one's understanding challenged. However, what I'm most interested in is improving my understanding of the many subtle and difficult points of the Tipitika. While some of the "free for all" discussions do illuminate subtle points, they tend to be focussed on a rather small subset.

Metta
Mike
Last edited by mikenz66 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Mike

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

tiltbillings wrote:I moved Should Buddhists be Tolerant of Other Religions? almost as soon as it was posted in the Lounge to the free-for-all section, because seemed to have more Dhammic issues than not, but it could have stayed where it was.
I noticed that.

Also, was the Free-for-all section always invisibled like it is now or is that a recent change. To be honest, i dislike having discussions in the free section for the same reasons others have mentioned here. Debate situations do trigger ego reflexes and confrontational mindstates, imo. Many folks tend to leave discussions when things get that way...

Which can be a loss to those who for one reason or another remain. Biggest loss being that of hearing the balanced yet nonconfrontational views of fellow practitioners not interested in getting into pissing matches.

:group:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Christopher
I'm intrigued by your statement that the Dhammic-free-for-all is 'invisible.
Please see the following two screen shots and please confirm that this is what you see.
Attachments
Dhamma Wheel main index
Dhamma Wheel main index
DW main index 060809.jpg (189.18 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben »

Second screen shot: View New Threads
Attachments
DW viewnewposts060809.jpg
DW viewnewposts060809.jpg (158.25 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:I moved Should Buddhists be Tolerant of Other Religions? almost as soon as it was posted in the Lounge to the free-for-all section, because seemed to have more Dhammic issues than not, but it could have stayed where it was.
I noticed that.

Also, was the Free-for-all section always invisibled like it is now or is that a recent change. To be honest, i dislike having discussions in the free section for the same reasons others have mentioned here. Debate situations do trigger ego reflexes and confrontational mindstates, imo. Many folks tend to leave discussions when things get that way...

Which can be a loss to those who for one reason or another remain. Biggest loss being that of hearing the balanced yet nonconfrontational views of fellow practitioners not interested in getting into pissing matches.

:group:
As for the Should Buddhists be Tolerant of Other Religions?, the content likely would not have been any different in the Lounge than where it is now.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:Hi Christopher
I'm intrigued by your statement that the Dhammic-free-for-all is 'invisible.
If you are not logged in you see that there is a free-for-all section, but you cannot look at the content without logging in. That is a relatively recent change.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ok, but Christopher would need to log in before he began contributing which would mean he would still have access to seeing all forums on DW once he logged in.
Cheers

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725