Daw San Yee (Mrs Saw) Passed Away on Tuesday

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Daw San Yee (Mrs Saw) Passed Away on Tuesday

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Anyone who practised the U Ba Khin meditation method at Oakenholt Buddhist Centre may remember Daw San Yee who worked tirelessly to help the course organisers, and volunteer caterers who ran the retreats.

Her husband, U Myat Saw, who was a wealthy Burmese businessman, bought the country house of Oakenholt a few miles outside Oxford, and the family ran it as a meditation centre.

When I first began practising vipassanā meditation, I spent many happy weeks at Oakenholt meditation centre (which has now been sold and has become a care home).

After I moved to Birmingham in 1976 to stay with Sayādaw U Rewata Dhamma, we made frequent visits to Oakenholt to visit Daw San Yee.

When I ordained in 1979, it was at Oakenholt, during a Mahāsi Vipassanā retreat. On that occasion, the owner U Myat Saw, performed an opening ceremony to inaugurate the Mahāsi retreat.

I will be attending the cremation service for Daw San Yee at Mortlake Crematorium on this coming Saturday (tomorrow) at 12:00 noon.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Sanjay PS

Re: Daw San Yee (Mrs Saw) Passed Away on Tuesday

Post by Sanjay PS »

Rejoicing now, rejoicing hereafter,
the doer of wholesome actions rejoices in both worlds.
Rejoicing now in the knowledge that he has acted rightly,
he rejoices more, gone into a state of bliss.

- Dhammapada I. 17 & 18
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When I attended Daw San Yee's funeral on Saturday, I learnt from her daughter, that Akong Rinpoche had died on the very same day — Tuesday 8th October.

Akong Rinpoche was murdered in his home at Chengdu while on a visit to supervise ROKPA projects. He is survived by his wife and three children.

I didn't know him well, but I met him on a few occasions when I visited Samye Ling with Ven. Dr Rewata Dhamma, in the days when I was his driver, before I became a monk.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
dagon

Post by dagon »

:candle:

metta
paul
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

May she have had a happy rebirth. :candle: :anjali:

Kevin
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Anicca vata sankhara
Uppada vaya dhammino
Uuppajjitva nirujjhanti
Tesam vupasamo sukho

All things are impermanent.
They arise and pass away.
Having arisen they come to an end.
Their coming to peace is bliss.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Thanks for this notification, bhante. The centre at Oakenholt was slightly before my time, but I recall meeting Mrs. Saw many times at Dr. Rewata's vihara in Edgbaston and then later when I was an anagarika at Ajahn Khemadhammo's monastery on the Isle of Wight.

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Sidhartha

Post by Sidhartha »

My heartfelt commiserations to the family of Mrs Saw, whom I found out today, passed away in October 2013. I was amongst the first of a small group of lay persons, to be Ordained at Oakenholt Buddhist Centre, as a novice monk for a short period of time, during which I had deep religious experiences following on from my diligent practice under Dr H. Saddhatissa and Dr R. Dhamma. Mrs Saw and her family are amongst the pioneers of Buddhism to the UK.