What do you guys think about my understanding of kamma?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dr. Dukkha

What do you guys think about my understanding of kamma?

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

I've begun to build my own understanding of kamma. When someone does a good or bad deed, that deed is given a number of intensity or severity to the decimal which makes a specific shape and that shape is made of the trail that the road to enlightenment is made of. That deed slides across the road and passes opportunities on the road that it can fill up a spot that a reward or punishment can be acquired. But when the shape reaches the exact slot where it fits, the kamma slides in and takes action. So I came up with the idea that kamma doesn't hit us at random times, it has it's place to fit in; a specific time for everything.
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
retrofuturist

Re: What do you guys think about my understanding of kamma?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I think it's baseless, unprofitable speculation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Dr. Dukkha wrote:I've begun to build my own understanding of kamma. When someone does a good or bad deed, that deed is given a number of intensity or severity to the decimal which makes a specific shape and that shape is made of the trail that the road to enlightenment is made of. That deed slides across the road and passes opportunities on the road that it can fill up a spot that a reward or punishment can be acquired. But when the shape reaches the exact slot where it fits, the kamma slides in and takes action. So I came up with the idea that kamma doesn't hit us at random times, it has it's place to fit in; a specific time for everything.
Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
reflection

Post by reflection »

What are you building your understanding upon? Our understanding of kamma should not come though intellectually trying to grasp it, because we will not be able to see it that way. You end up in mechanical ways of thinking as the example you are describing. Kamma doesn't work that way, it's not really about specific causes ending up in specific results. So instead it's better to look at things internally through meditation. Then with a clear mind devoid of thoughts, processes may become clearer.

(kamma being an unconjecturable speaks about the kammavipaka, the results of kamma. In other words, what specific results will arise from a certain action/kamma, not about kamma as a whole or what general results arise from certain things.)
arijitmitter

Post by arijitmitter »

It is not knowable how Kamma works. Endless speculation can happen about it but those will always be conjecture.

What you proposed is called "Russell's Teapot" argument. You offer no proof and expect the burden of proof to lie with the nonbeliever. It is like those who say there is a God and then offer no proof. What if, (Bertrand Russell said) I argue there is a teapot orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars. Can you say you disbelieve me ? If so on what grounds ? Can you prove there is no teapot between Earth and Mars ?
Last edited by arijitmitter on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I highly recommend listening to this talk about kamma given by Ajahn Amaro at Amaravati monastery :

"Who is pulling the Strings?"

http://www.amaravati.org/teachings/audi ... ation/2083

- the link to the talk is under a question and answer session with the same title.

:anjali:
Digity

Post by Digity »

I think theorizing about karma like this is pointless. Just focus on the fact that it has to do with your intentions and make sure you cultivate right intention. It's that simple.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Speculating about kamma, and trying to understand how it works by studying the Buddha's teaching about kamma are entirely different things.

To follow the teachings — Abstain from all evil, cultivate wholesomeness, and purify the mind — we need to know what kind of kamma is evil, what is wholesome, and how to purify the mind from unwholesome mental kamma.

To understand what kind of kamma leads towards nibbāna, what kind leads to heavenly rebirth, and what kind leads to the lower realms is vital. So, although speculating about specific cause and results is beyond our ability, understanding how kamma works is important — it will encourage us to abstain from evil, to cultivate wholesome deeds, and learn how to practice for the cessation of kammic activities.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I agree with Ven Pesala,
Kamma is one of the unthinkable. It is easier to use the electricity rather than trying to understand what electricity is!
However I spent lots of time on this subject before I came to previous conclusion.

I like to ask stupid questions rather than doing stupid mistakes! :)

So I encourage forum members to debate this and understand it.
The best writing I found in this subject is from the following book by Ven P.A.Pautto

:reading:

http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/kamma.htm#Contents
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
nem

Post by nem »

From my meditation and sutta study, all I learned that was there is nothing to gain. If I seek to improve kamma, or attain nibanna..it would just be emptiness.
But also, I know, I came to the dhamma, because of being involved with a person, who burned me with the fires of infinite lifetimes in hells, to use me to get to her personal goals.Sort of like, a woman who is 'holocaustic' toward getting what she wanted no matter what is the collateral damage or how many people were made to suffer for her wishes. So even now religiously, I have aversion when it comes to anyone wanting to get anything..even myself with the idea of trying to attain Nibbana..it seems like a sickness, that anyone would want to gain anything from the dhamma. I know..it's AVERSION that I have. :)

Like Ajahn Sumedho said...let's not take it personally...Sakkāya-ditthi. I am full of that! But you don't have to be! :) Some say, just watch the breath, enjoy the opportunity to be breathing, and forget about esoteric things like kamma or nibbana.

metta,

nenhum