Sampajannyya

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Sampajannyya

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi All,
this may be a sanskrit word but I am not sure as I can find no direct dictionary reference to it (shame I only have an english one hehe) in any sanskrit or pali dictionary although only the pali dictionary on PTS site has given any close matches (Sampajanna)

is Sampajannyya another form of Sampajanna or are these two completely seperate words? and does anyone know the meaning of the former?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Sampajannyya

Postby Macavity » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm

Pali: sampajañña.
Buddhist Sanskrit: saṃprajanya

As used in the Sanskrit Āgamas the word saṃprajanya bears the same meaning as sampajañña in the Pali Nikāyas. It won't necessarily bear the same meaning in the Sanskritic Abhidharma systems and Mahayana sources.
Macavity

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Macavity wrote:Pali: sampajañña.
Buddhist Sanskrit: saṃprajanya

As used in the Sanskrit Āgamas the word saṃprajanya bears the same meaning as sampajañña in the Pali Nikāyas. It won't necessarily bear the same meaning in the Sanskritic Abhidharma systems and Mahayana sources.

yeah but what is Sampajannyya
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:43 pm

I wonder if it is a mistransliteration for sampajanna ( clarity, alertness ) Manapa. These things do occur.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:57 pm

hi
yes it does, but it was from a translation of the sankrit version of the satipatthana sutta the word was used, although other pali spellings were used in the translation which would be more familiar to people
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 pm

ñ is pronounce nyuh as in the Spanish mañana (manyana)
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Peter wrote:ñ is pronounce nyuh as in the Spanish mañana (manyana)

I am thinking this is just another spelling of sampajanna now, just spelt phenetically without the ñ
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:20 pm

That would be my guess too.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:05 pm

I would post the text but it isn't in a supported format!

if anyone wan't to see it send me your mail via a PM.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Macavity » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:02 am

Manapa wrote:yeah but what is Sampajannyya

No such word. In both Pali and Sanskrit the consonant cluster -nnyy- is phonetically impossible.
Macavity

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:51 am

I have realised it was from the chinese translation not the sanskrit as I earlier thought, maybe it is the pronounciation found from the chinese version?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Macavity » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 pm

Manapa wrote:I have realised it was from the chinese translation not the sanskrit as I earlier thought, maybe it is the pronounciation found from the chinese version?

The spelling is probably just from someone being careless.

It's true that some Sanskrit and prakritic words were transliterated into Chinese, rather than translated, but sampajañña isn't one of them. In the Āgamas it's translated chêng-chih.
Macavity

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi Macavity,
always good to know, cheers!
I didn't meant the word was translated but the pronounciation of the word hence the extra letters, if you get my drift?
something allong the lines of mum and mom

Macavity wrote:
Manapa wrote:I have realised it was from the chinese translation not the sanskrit as I earlier thought, maybe it is the pronounciation found from the chinese version?

The spelling is probably just from someone being careless.

It's true that some Sanskrit and prakritic words were transliterated into Chinese, rather than translated, but sampajañña isn't one of them. In the Āgamas it's translated chêng-chih.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Return to Pali