Cynthia Thatcher

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
befriend

Cynthia Thatcher

Post by befriend »

In Memorium of Buddhist Teacher Cynthia Thatcher All beings can rejoice in the merits of Cynthia Thatcher her qualities are rare I am SO very thankful for her and her teachings, she was always there for me during a difficult time in my life she was the one person I could talk to. I am blessed to have known her. her paramis became strong from her practice, her patience was incredible, she never got short with me after the many repetitive emails, she said if you learn only one thing from me, that is to know and let go. thank you so much for teaching me Buddhism which is priceless. maha metta, Befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Ben

Re: Cynthia Thatcher

Post by Ben »

:candle:
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
upekha

Post by upekha »

I am very sorry to hear this news. Cynthia was a good Dhamma friend and in fact, she gave me the opportunity of doing some translation work for her website. Even though she was very sick, she continued to work to get the translation uploaded on the website.

May she attain Nibbana.
:namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

What happened? She was a good kalyana-mitta of mine too, many years ago when I was in Denver. She even stayed in one of my apartments doing some solitary retreats under the supervision of Achan Sobin. I lost contact with her unfortunately after I left Denver in 1998.

She was too young to pass this soon. What was the sickness?

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Anicca vata sankhara
Upada vaya dhammino
Upakituva nirujihanti
Tesam vupasamo sukho
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
upekha

Post by upekha »

David N. Snyder wrote:What happened? She was a good kalyana-mitta of mine too, many years ago when I was in Denver. She even stayed in one of my apartments doing some solitary retreats under the supervision of Achan Sobin. I lost contact with her unfortunately after I left Denver in 1998.

She was too young to pass this soon. What was the sickness?

In one of her emails she mentioned that there was some damage to the brain stem and that she thinks it is pretty serious. The last year or so, she found it difficult to sit at the computer for long.

I have never had the good fortune of meeting her, though we did write to each other quite frequently.

metta
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

befriend wrote:In Memorium of Buddhist Teacher Cynthia Thatcher All beings can rejoice in the merits of Cynthia Thatcher her qualities are rare I am SO very thankful for her and her teachings, she was always there for me during a difficult time in my life she was the one person I could talk to. I am blessed to have known her. her paramis became strong from her practice, her patience was incredible, she never got short with me after the many repetitive emails, she said if you learn only one thing from me, that is to know and let go. thank you so much for teaching me Buddhism which is priceless. maha metta, Befriend
............to know and let go................

What more can be said :candle:
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka