The chicken cage

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sanjay PS

The chicken cage

Post by Sanjay PS »

Just recently i walked along with my son to a nearby cycle repair shop for having his cycle repaired . Adjacent to the shop was a chicken cage with many chickens having their own families , friends , and little ones hopping about . There was fresh water and grains that they happily fed on .

i asked my little boy what was similar to what he saw in the cage and our living . He thought for a moment , and said that the chickens were to be slaughtered and stopped short soon after .

Our minds and bodies are like the chicken cage , the sensual past times that we delight in are like the grains and water that the chickens peck on , fattening themselves up, to be ripe for the plucking and killing .

Nature mirrors suffering so well ,whether its a falling leaf , the annica within or chickens hung down by the sides of a bicycle carrier , being taken to the slaughter . Yet the misery of life , the suffering of living gets painted by euphemistic words of jargon . Many resort to the shades of logic saying , the cycle of death and living is but a necessary part of living to pave way for the new .

All excuses fall short when death does strike on our doors........
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
beingnobody

Re: The chicken cage

Post by beingnobody »

I like this. I've often thought of samsara as being in a cage. Awesome post.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Aren't we all like those chickens? We are good at covering up the truth. In those cages, we fill with things like music, poetry, art, literature etc to make life bearable. But the truth always catch up in the end. That is the prison of life that Ajahn Buddhadasa talks about.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

pegembara wrote:Aren't we all like those chickens? We are good at covering up the truth. In those cages, we fill with things like music, poetry, art, literature etc to make life bearable. But the truth always catch up in the end. That is the prison of life that Ajahn Buddhadasa talks about.

" to make life bearable " ..........

This thought kept ringing through the day .........deep and meaningful . Thanks so much i shared it with my family .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka