Theravadin meditation ?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Sanghamitta

Theravadin meditation ?

Post by Sanghamitta »

I am a bit puzzled. Under the heading "Theravadin Meditation" I see a lot of material which might be of interest to someone, but which is hardly in the catagory of meditation as taught and understood in the Theravada. Is this a web phenomenon ? That in actuality all forae become a Dhamma Free for All ? Is it that otherwise the forum would be short of material ? What is Dhamma Wheel's policy on this ? I am genuinely puzzled.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Re: Theravadin meditation ?

Post by Cittasanto »

what posts are you refering to?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Koan meditation ?
Astral Projection ?
What is the forums policy on questions on these kind of issues ?
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

2 out of 89 ain't bad!

but a theravadin perspective on such styles would loosly on topic.
Koans are found in all traditions to varying extent and as for astral travel well I am not an expert on any level of the subject to comment on how connected it is to theravadin meditations or interpretations to comment, but it is the moderators decission, and they prefer to leave subjects in the forum the poster wished to post it in.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sanghamitta

Both those threads were started by members who framed their questions in context to Theravada meditation. They were genuine and there was no grounds to have those threads deleted or moved.

I want to remind you that our policy is that Dhamma Wheel is to provide an environment where those with a genuine interest in the Theravada can come and discuss and discover the Theravada. That means that Dhamma Wheel is not an exclusive club or ghetto for Theravadins only. As per the TOS:
Members are expected to self-moderate, being mindful of the adage that 'behaviour breeds behaviour'. Mutual respect and friendliness should be the basis of all interactions.
-- http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please keep in mind that while we appreciate feedback, if you have genuine concerns regarding policy or moderation decisions, please follow the guidelines as per the complaints procedure: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since this thread is more to do with policy than bhavana, i am closing it and moving it to suggestion box.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..