YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The only farang (mae chi) in the temple - Dhamma Wheel

The only farang (mae chi) in the temple

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
gavesako

The only farang (mae chi) in the temple

Postby gavesako » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:56 pm

The only farang in the temple

Visitors to Ayutthaya may spy a white woman in robes. She is Margo Somboon, who feels she has found sanctuary from a troubled life

...But in spite of all her apologies - for Americans, for homosexuals and for women - Margo is an incisive straight-talker. She cares little about her appearance and what others think of her. "My tooth broke off about three weeks ago. I ate something somebody gave me and I thought, `What's that in my mouth? Oh, my tooth,"' she says nonchalantly. "But I'm 57 and I look like I'm 75, screw that, you know. It's all going to go to hell sooner or later anyway."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investi ... the-temple

Maybe it follows the recent articles describing the "homeless farang" phenomenon in Thailand.
In the case of a woman, it is harder to find a place to live as a monastic, such as by joining a prestigious forest monastery where the living requisites will be provided by the laypeople. But this particular mae chi is a bit of a weird combination of American eco-activism and Thai superstition...
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

Dhammanando

Re: The only farang (mae chi) in the temple

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:22 pm

:rolleye:

What a depressing article. The toe-rag of a journalist should be reprimanded for taking unfair advantage of the mentally subnormal.

Feathers

Postby Feathers » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm not entirely sure where you get 'mentally subnormal' from, unless you feel the slight conspiracy fears are a sign of something amiss? I intensely dislike her views on women and gays, but I wouldn't say that makes her mentally subnormal, just that she thinks (very) differently to me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:07 am

She seems to suffer a paranoid ideation or thought disorder, perhaps from years of alcohol abuse or early onset dementia. The hope would be that this article gives her some notoriety, so that when her health begins to fail and her delusions become more pronounced, there will be some effort to engage people to care for her. I looked at her Twitter account, and she posts frequently, mainly with links to other sites. She might be seen just as eccentric, but the NSA spying ideations seem like a paranoid pathology, along with some of her other comments. I wish her health and happiness, and hope she has people around her to care for her.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 am

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:11 am

good point!!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:37 am

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:23 am

Is insulting women, even if it might be true, a form of right speech?????

The ideas she's expressing about female rebirth etc are actually pretty commonly held relatively mainstream views in Thailand, from what I've heard.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:38 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:40 am

Well I can pretty much guarantee her feelings would have been hurt, or have been hurt if she has read your comments and others.

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:08 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:12 am