white robes

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
beeblebrox

Re: white robes

Post by beeblebrox »

Is wearing a white robe part of the precepts? Maybe this is a weak argument... but it's not inconceivable to me that it might've been an idiom. I seem to recall Ven Dhammanando is an expert in Pali. :anjali:
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

In Thailand a candidate for ordination who has shaved his head and wears white is called a Nak, which I believe is derived from anagarika. As I understand it, it the name given for the transition from being a lay person to a mendicant.

I imagine that In ancient India, as in India of today it was fairly common to dress in white. Do you think that possibly going to the temple in ones best white cloths on uposatha day is similar to the tradition of wearing "sunday best"?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

beeblebrox wrote:Nigrodha wasn't pointing out the clothes... he was pointing out the follower of the precepts. It's as if you're pointing out the policeman to someone by saying that he's "plainclothes."
in your police example, the clothes say more than they are normal police officers preforming normal duties. they could be trying to blend in to the croud to avoid being recognised as police officers.

so the use of pointing out the clothes here although not saying exactly the same thing would indicate something more than just a normal lay follower doing their day to day thing.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

daverupa wrote:
beeblebrox wrote:Related: Where is "anagarika" attested in the Suttas as an 8- or 10-precept lay follower? Or isn't it?
it isn't used to describe lay-people to my knowledge, it is a modern coinage from Sri Lanka, it litterally means homeless one and is often found in formulas used to ask for the going forth, the household life is full of dust the homeless life is free as the air (if I remember the line propperly) it is found toward the end of many suttas one being MN58 if I remember, but it is quite common and should be close to that sutta if not there.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

On this page you can see the standard white clothing that is sold in many Thai street shops that carry Buddhist goods:

http://monkordination.com/?p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if there are any online sellers, but these "whites" were worn by the lay men and women at the Temple. The men depicted here were in the pre-stages of study and practice, before ordaining as Samanera.
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

Aside from the wearing of white shirts/pants by lay-followers on retreat or attending temple services, in Thailand some females choose to wear a white sarong and a shoulder cloth.
There is also the Naga who is a male about to ordain as a monk who wears the white sarong and a white vest which is across the upper body diagonally....usually after his head shaving ceremony.
Another type is the Pakhow (white cloth) who is in training before becoming a Novice and he wears the same as the Naga and has his head shaved. In the tradition at Wat Pah nanachart they are required to be Pakhow for six months then Novice for a year before being allowed to ordain as a monk.
Biija

Post by Biija »

Hi everyone! I'm going to arrive at Wat Pah Nanachat on January 2, 2014 to live there as an anagarika. I need to know if I must buy the white robes or if the WPN provides it. If I have to buy, where could I find it in Bangkok near the International Airport or in Ubon Ratchathani near the airport, too?

Thanks,
:anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Why not ask the people at Wat Pah Nanachat? I am sure they won't mind you asking a few important questions like that.

Anyway, good luck with the noble plans!
Biija

Post by Biija »

David N. Snyder wrote:Why not ask the people at Wat Pah Nanachat? I am sure they won't mind you asking a few important questions like that.

Anyway, good luck with the noble plans!

Thanks for the good luck message, David! :twothumbsup:
For sure, It would be the best way, but the communication with WPN is difficult. I would have to write to the Guest Monk. I live in Brazil. It takes about 12 to 15 days for the letter to arrive in Thailand and more 12 to 15 days to receive a response from the Guest Monk. So, I've decided that the best way is to wait and ask the Guest Monk when I get there. I asked here because I could save some time buying the white robes before getting there. WPN may have the white robes and if It does not, I will have enough time to go out at afternoon to buy over there. Anyway, if someone here knows the answers to my questions, they'd be useful. :smile:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

They should have white clothes for you, or they can tell you where to go to buy some (probably just in the village nearby).
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Biija

Post by Biija »

gavesako wrote:They should have white clothes for you, or they can tell you where to go to buy some (probably just in the village nearby).
Thank very much, Ven. Gavesako!