[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 81: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Deepening my practice - Dhamma Wheel

Deepening my practice

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Dhammakid

Deepening my practice

Postby Dhammakid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:16 am

Hello Dhamma Wheel sangha,
Hope this message reaches you all in good spirits.

I am planning to come back to Theravada practice, my original practice when first coming to the Dhamma two years ago. I like Zen philosophy, but this constant changing of my mind is getting ridiculous and I feel I finally need to settle. Because I like the gradual teaching and the emphasis on morality and generosity, as well as the simple beauty of the Pali scriptures, I seem quite suited for Theravada practice. Besides, I don't think I'm "bodhisattva material" anyway. Just being honest :shrug:

Anyway, I'm looking to considerably deepen my practice, maybe to the level of a lay follower who has taken more precepts. I haven't done that, and probably won't get the chance to do it anytime soon, but I would like to start practicing on that level for a few reasons, one of which is possible ordination in the future. I have lots of debts to pay off that will take quite a long time, but once that's all done, I would very much like to ordain at a monastery such as Abhayagiri or similar. But that's way down the road.

I'm thinking of following a daily schedule that includes 8 precepts. A few quick questions:

1) Does the 8th precept include the use of antiperspirant/deodorant and shampoo? There's a good chance I'll be shaving my head soon (more for health reasons than practice), but in case I don't, I need to know whether shampoo is included in the 8th precept.

2) Any advice you can give on eating one meal per day? According to the Abhayagiri website, they eat oatmeal in the morning and a full meal before noon, with tea in the evening. I remember an ES thread where it was mentioned that eating one meal per day is certainly doable if you can still get somewhere around 1500-2000 calories in during that meal. Seems like an awful lot to eat in one sitting...

3) I'm assuming the 7th precept includes watching television and movies.

Any other advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

:anjali:
Dhammakid
- Facebook Group

Email: [email protected].

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Deepening my practice

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 am

Dhammakid

Postby Dhammakid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:50 am

- Facebook Group

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:33 pm

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:45 pm

- Peter

Dhammakid

Postby Dhammakid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:56 pm

- Facebook Group

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Dhammakid

Postby Dhammakid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:09 pm

- Facebook Group

Dhammakid

Postby Dhammakid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:18 pm

- Facebook Group

adosa

Postby adosa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Maybe I'm wrong here but I recollect that the precept on eating is for at the "right time" (after sunrise and before noon) and not specific to only one meal.

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:02 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:05 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:09 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Dhammakid

Postby Dhammakid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:33 pm

TD,
Ah yes, eating at home seems a more logical choice than eating out every night. That actually doesn't really make sense at all now that I think about it.

I think you're right about the time saved by eating only once per day, especially for those who prepare most of their own foods instead of eating out. More time to devote to practice and a lighter body with which to practice.

Thanks for all your help.

:anjali:
Dhammakid
- Facebook Group

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 pm

IIRC, the rule for monks is to eat before noon and one of the optional "more intense" practices is to eat only one meal.
- Peter

Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”