How many hours per week do you put in?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

How many hours per week do you put in?

Postby kmath » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm just entering the work force now and am considering various positions. I'm curious, how many hours a week do people work and how many do you think is reasonable to maintain a healthy work/life balance?

Thanks,

km
kmath

Re: How many hours per week do you put in?

Postby Ben » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 pm

I think it depends on the job, the pay and other benefits, cost of living, and one' sown responsibilities/commitments.
You need to work out what is important to you now and into the future.
Free time is great, but if you don't have the money to put food on the table, pay the bills or ensure you have access to medical care then you might want to revisit your priorities.
Kind regards,
Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:49 am

Greetings,

kmath wrote:I'm just entering the work force now and am considering various positions. I'm curious, how many hours a week do people work and how many do you think is reasonable to maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I have a pretty standard 9-5, 5 days a week thing going on and that works fine for me. I do however have 8 weeks annual leave a year (instead of the standard 4) on account of parenting commitments, and because it's a nicer way to live.

To be honest though, in terms of balance I find it has more to do with the quality of the work environment, than the quantity of time spent there. This includes Right Livelihood considerations as well as how decent the people around you are.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Feathers » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

To be honest though, in terms of balance I find it has more to do with the quality of the work environment, than the quantity of time spent there. This includes Right Livelihood considerations as well as how decent the people around you are.

Metta,
Retro. :)

To expand that: I'd say it's the people that make the place. I've worked retail where I've been pretty miserable, and retail where I've loved it, and the only difference was the other staff. Not something you can really know until you start! Just make sure you're one of the positive people in the workplace for others :-)
Feathers

Postby dagon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:51 pm

kmath wrote:I'm just entering the work force now and am considering various positions. I'm curious, how many hours a week do people work and how many do you think is reasonable to maintain a healthy work/life balance?

Thanks,

km

Hi Kmath

There are not enough hours in the day to do all that i want, so i multi task. My work and my life complement each other, there are no compartments. Behind every problem there is an opportunity look for the opportunities and the problems disappear.

Work - nursing/ personal care in a high care nursing home 30 hours a week, this doubles as 30 hours of opportunity for metta and compassion and study of the 4NT. I travel to work on a bus (my personal action plan on climate change) - opportunity to see suffering, practice metta/compassion and study. My family is overseas for a few months so i have had the opportunity to be celibate. Stay in contact with the wife by skype - every conversations includes discussions on Buddhism and all of our decisions involve a discussion of the implications of the Dhamma on the decision.

Recently I was injured at work so i miss out on providing care - alternative duties archiving computer records by the thousands. i have been looking for the opportunity to practice noting to develop mindfulness - perfect opportunity/task to do this. While the batch files are running spend the time doing walking meditation which also doubles as physiotherapy for my injury, lol. ......

Life is what you make it

metta
paul
dagon

Return to Lounge