Ohio area get-together?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Hickersonia

Ohio area get-together?

Post by Hickersonia »

Hello friends,

What if it could be arranged to rent a pavilion, some sort of outdoor gathering place at a public park, for a morning/afternoon to get a group of Dhamma practitioners together, do some chanting, talk a little about our experiences, and do some sort of pot-luck lunch?

I'm in Cincinnati, OH. I'm aware that there are at least a couple of forum members who reside in or around Ohio, but I don't know for sure if there has ever been any interest in an organized get-together like this.

I'm envisioning something in late March or April (any weekend other than that of Easter) -- it wouldn't be too cold for most people to be outside comfortably, and there would probably be plenty of time to get interested persons signed-up, figure out what chanting or reading ought to be done, create some kind of list of who is bringing whatever kinds of foods, and address any other possible concerns (cost of location?).

If there would be any interest in such an idea, we can talk about it and see if it goes anywhere. I'm happy to help organize (not that I've ever done anything like this before). :)

Thank you for your consideration. Please be well! :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
poto

Re: Ohio area get-together?

Post by poto »

I'm near cincy and would be down for a meetup. As long as it falls on a day that I can make it I'll be there.

General rule of thumb for meetups is only about half of the people who say they are going to come actually show up. At least that has been my experience with other internet meetup groups.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Hickersonia

Re: Ohio area get-together?

Post by Hickersonia »

poto wrote:I'm near cincy and would be down for a meetup. As long as it falls on a day that I can make it I'll be there.

General rule of thumb for meetups is only about half of the people who say they are going to come actually show up. At least that has been my experience with other internet meetup groups.
I can see how that might be. I'll admit that I've never tried to do anything like this before -- all the more reason to try it once at least.

Thank you for expressing interest. Maybe that will encourage others to do likewise. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."