A zen teacher talks about breath meditation and the jhanas

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
m0rl0ck

A zen teacher talks about breath meditation and the jhanas

Post by m0rl0ck »

And im sure that this will upset some people, he actually seems to be recommending them. The talk is happing now http://wzen.org/broadcast-schedule/sun/
Click the upper right of the page for the pop up window with the talk audio.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
m0rl0ck

Re: A zen teacher talks about breath meditation and the jhan

Post by m0rl0ck »

their actual streaming broad cast seems to be running an hour ahead of their posted schedule, so that a program listed for 1pm actually comes on at noon.
Today the first two parts of the series "Opening the Gate" will be on. Interesting hearing a zen teacher talk about the jhanas.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Hmm, didn't work for me yesterday, but today I've got dhamma coming through my speakers. But how do I listen to the talk you're referring to? All I seem to be able to get at the moment is some kind of live stream.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

This format kind of sucks. Why not let people download talks at their convenience? Is there some kind of massive bandwidth savings from pretending that we're all listening to the same radio waves? Also, it just played Dar Williams's
Are You Out There, which I am pretty sure is not good dhamma. :-)

It looks like "Opening the Gate" is on again tomorrow at 5-7, so I'll try to keep an ear out for it then.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

This talk came on. (The one by Konrad Ryushin Marchaj Sensei, "Opening the Gate", right?) The scheduling confuses me.

Anyway, the talk is excellent. Listening to it as I work, so only half an ear, but he is saying a lot of profound, accurate-sounding stuff.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Yeah it was a great series. You dont hear zen teachers talking alot about stages and states of concentration. I dont like the format much my self and wish they had those four talks available for download.
Samma

Post by Samma »

Looks like he came from 'vipassana meditation' otherwise chance of talking about it would be near nil eh:
Ryushin Sensei is the abbot and resident teacher of Zen Mountain Monastery. Ryushin Sensei came to the dharma through Vipassana meditation, eventually shifting to Zen practice and taking Daido Roshi as his teacher in 1987. After a medical career that included pediatrics and psychiatry, he entered full-time residential training in 1992; he received dharma transmission from Daido Roshi in 2009
Some writings:
https://zmm.mro.org/teachings/category/ ... in-sensei/

But I doubt i get around to listening to this one without a download...