Would you want to do what you are about to do today?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
PimonratC

Would you want to do what you are about to do today?

Post by PimonratC »

Steve Jobs,
CEO of Apple Computer and
of Pixar Animation Studios,
on June 12, 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

“…When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: “If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.” It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something…”

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june ... 61505.html

Feathers

Re: Would you want to do what you are about to do today?

Post by Feathers »

Good in theory but . . . if I knew today was my last day on earth I would NOT have spent the morning at a job interview, but obviously I need to attend job interviews. Dishes need washing, floor needs sweeping, etc.

The trick I believe is to still do the dishes and attend the job interviews, but not be made unhappy by that.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Feathers wrote:Good in theory but . . . if I knew today was my last day on earth I would NOT have spent the morning at a job interview, but obviously I need to attend job interviews. Dishes need washing, floor needs sweeping, etc.

The trick I believe is to still do the dishes and attend the job interviews, but not be made unhappy by that.
Agreed. There are an awful lot of people in the Philippines who don't want to do what they are about to do today. Lots of people across the world spend large parts of their lives in that condition.
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think some here are missing the point.....Jobs was not talking about what one must do on any one day or any one moment or in some special circumstance (like a disaster) but rather about how your typical life activities and goals.

Personally I do want to do what I do every day.....I'm an organic farmer and I love it. That doesn't mean that every moment of every day and every single activity fills me with organic rapture.....or that I'm happy to have to clean up the mess when a hail storm destroys a crop.

If you ask yourself every day if you want to do what you will be doing and you find that on too many days in a row the answer is no then I suggest you take a look at your life with the idea of changes in mind......but only do this if you want to....you don't need to do this......you can just keep plodding along the rest of your life not really liking what you do every day....it is entirely up to you.
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Actually I used to think like Jobs some years back.

Then I asked the question “What is the ultimate goal in your life?”
My answer was “Realising Nirvana”

So every morning I look at the mirror and ask “Does what you are planning to do today help you to attain your final goal? Are you in the right path?”
:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”