Getting Intoxicated Without Alcohol

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Getting Intoxicated Without Alcohol

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The sensation of drink... without the alcohol

For a Buddhist, of course, it would still be covered by the precept to abstain from taking intoxicants that lead to heedlessness.

However, given the obvious potential health benefits, wouldn't this be a good thing for those who cannot or don't wish to observe the precepts?

Will it ever be allowed to succeed due to the vested interests of the drinks industry?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
greenthumb

Re: Getting Intoxicated Without Alcohol

Post by greenthumb »

@Bhikkhu Pesala I wonder if there will be side effects? You know like Equal and NutraSweet, aspartame has a list of dangerous side effects a mile long and it's still marketed as wonderful. I don't trust companies very much regarding caring for customers health over profit, I thinking this is not such a good thing. I'd have to see independent studies….
Form is like a glob of foam; feeling, a bubble; perception, a mirage; fabrications, a banana tree; consciousness, a magic trick this has been taught by the Kinsman of the Sun. Phena Sutta: Foam
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I can't help thinking that the side-effects could not possibly be worse than the side-effects of using alcohol, but yes careful studies would be needed. Messing with the body's chemistry is not something to take chances with.

Like nicotine patches work for some smokers, it might prove an effective way to get alcoholics detoxified.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

@Bhikkhu Pesala when you put it that way the use of chemicals to make one drunk without the physical side effects, like Cirrhosis of the liver, enlarged heart, pancreas and gallbladder damage does sound helpful. But for me the main problem is the need to get drunk, I grew up around heavy drinkers and they did awful things to people and themselves when high. They used the drug to avoid changing themselves for the better and facing those they hurt. Does the drug cause the same behavior, loss on inhibitions and boundaries as real alcohol? I looked over the article and couldn't find any reference to this question. I think those who profit from the liquor industry would invest in this drug as well. Best to have a diverse portfolio, that is what the tobacco companies did with their nicotine patches.
Form is like a glob of foam; feeling, a bubble; perception, a mirage; fabrications, a banana tree; consciousness, a magic trick this has been taught by the Kinsman of the Sun. Phena Sutta: Foam
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

greenthumb wrote:Does the drug cause the same behavior, loss on inhibitions and boundaries as real alcohol?
Yes. The professor says that in the interview. That's why it does violate the fifth precept — it has an intoxicating effect, and make people lose their inhibitions, when they are more likely to break other precepts, especially the fourth one on right speech.

On the plus side, there is an antidote, so, for example, people might take that after leaving the bar/disco, and be able to make it home safely having sobered up quickly.
kmath

Post by kmath »

Just listened to the talk. It sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

I question though whether people will actually take to it. I am from a part of the country where people really love their beer, and to think they would give it up for one of these medicated "cocktails." I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

:toast:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Some people already drink alcohol free beer — I expect a beer could be produced that was alcohol free, but still intoxicating if the brewers were inclined. The government do not tax alcohol free beer.

https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-duties
If you produce beer for commercial reasons and its strength exceeds 1.2% ABV, you must register as a brewer with HMRC and pay Beer Duty.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Children have been getting "drunk" for decades (centuries, millennia?) by spinning around in a standing position until they get dizzy and fall over. Like true drunkenness the sensation can be quite euphoric and will give way to nausea if done to excess.

Would doing this break the fifth precept? It raises the question of what is an intoxicant, and what isn't.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Just imagine you spinning around in a standing position just before your meditaions session or just before start some important task.

I think alcohol make you more damage than make you dizzy.

These matters (Five precepts etc.) have to be considered in conjunction with common sense and the spirit of the law.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”