When a translator needs a vacation

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
tharpa

When a translator needs a vacation

Post by tharpa »

In PTS's Jaataka I & II, translated by Rouse, the Kacchapa-Jaataka is translated into Latin rather than English.

It's dry humor, I know, but you have to take what you can get with the Tipitika.

As the former Dhammapiti Bhikkhu once said, "The Theravada is so dry that sand comes out of your ears."
May all beings, in or out of the womb, be well, happy and peaceful.
tiltbillings

Re: When a translator needs a vacation

Post by tiltbillings »

tharpa wrote:In PTS's Jaataka I & II, translated by Rouse, the Kacchapa-Jaataka is translated into Latin rather than English.

It's dry humor, I know, but you have to take what you can get with the Tipitika.

As the former Dhammapiti Bhikkhu once said, "The Theravada is so dry that sand comes out of your ears."
There is a lot of humor in the Pali suttas, some of it very pointed.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

Frinstance?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
reflection

Post by reflection »

I laughed so many times when reading the suttas. I guess it depends on the way you look at it.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

tharpa wrote:In PTS's Jaataka I & II, translated by Rouse, the Kacchapa-Jaataka is translated into Latin rather than English.

Probably because the content was too blue to publish at the time the translations were published.
3. Kacchapa Jātaka (No. 273).– The story of how a monkey insulted a turtle by introducing his private parts into the turtle as the latter lay basking in the sun with his mouth open. The turtle caught hold of the monkey and refused to release him. The monkey went for help, and the Bodhisatta, who was an ascetic in a hermitage nearby, saw the monkey carrying the turtle. The Bodhisatta persuaded the turtle to release the monkey.

The story was related in reference to the quarrelsome ministers of the king of Kosala. J.ii.359-61.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

Probably because the content was too blue to publish at the time the translations were published.
3. Kacchapa Jātaka (No. 273).– The story of how a monkey insulted a turtle by introducing his private parts into the turtle as the latter lay basking in the sun with his mouth open. The turtle caught hold of the monkey and refused to release him. The monkey went for help, and the Bodhisatta, who was an ascetic in a hermitage nearby, saw the monkey carrying the turtle. The Bodhisatta persuaded the turtle to release the monkey.

The story was related in reference to the quarrelsome ministers of the king of Kosala. J.ii.359-61.
Well, in the Jātakas, the stories are just commentaries, not Tipitika. Only the verses are Tipitika. Unfortunately, PTS published them together, so it is not at all clear to the reader.